Skip to main content

Get ready for Brexit. Information on how we are preparing for Brexit in South Gloucestershire.

Council tax discounts

The full council tax bill assumes that there are two adults (over the age of 18) resident in a property. However, if there are more than two persons over 18 at the property, the bill does not increase. There is a range of discounts available on your council tax account. They include the following:

Single person discount

If you are the only adult living in your property your bill can be reduced by 25%.

Apply for single persons discount

Disabled band relief

Your bill may be reduced if you live in a property where changes have been made to help a resident child or adult who has a disability. The person with the disability must live in the property concerned as their main home. The relief is awarded by charging the council tax for the dwelling at the rate for the band below, for example if the dwelling is a Band C property and disabled band relief is awarded, the council tax payable will be at a Band B rate. To be considered for the relief you must meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • you have an extra bathroom or kitchen for the use of the person with the disability
  • a room is used for a special purpose, for example, dialysis
  • extra space for someone who uses a wheelchair

Please note that a visit to the property by our inspector will be required to ensure all criteria are met. If you wish to apply, please complete our Disabled Band Relief form.

Other discounts

If you or someone you live with falls into one on the categories below, please download the related discount application to see if you are eligible for a discount.

Education and training discounts

  • Student
  • 18/19 further education
  • Foreign language students
  • Student nurse
  • Apprentice

Occupational discounts

  • International HQ defence
  • Visiting forces

Health related discounts

  • Severe mental impairment
  • People with disabilities
  • Long term patients

Other Council tax discounts

  • Residential carers
  • Persons in detention
  • Annexe exemption (occupied by elderly or disabled relative)
  • Annexe discount
  • Religious community member

You should continue to pay your council tax until any discount is awarded. However if you do not agree with our decision relating to a discount, you can appeal to us initially in writing.

Change of circumstances

If you are currently in receipt of a council tax discount and have had a change in circumstances and think that you may no longer be entitled to the discount please contact the Council tax team giving details of the change.

Is there anything wrong with this page?