Business Rates COVID-19 Update (23 March 2020)
Amid the developing Covid-19 situation below is the temporary support package announced by the government on 17 March 2020.
- Retail Relief to be increased from 50% to 100% during 2020/21 and available to all retail, leisure and hospitality businesses with no rateable value cap
- grants of up to £25,000 will be provided to retail, leisure and hospitality businesses operating from smaller premises with a rateable value between, £15,000 and £51,000
- grants of £10,000 for businesses claiming small business rates relief or rural rate relief
- Pub Relief for those with a rateable value below £100,000 during 2020/21 to receive a £5,000 reduction instead of £1,000
There will be a delay in being able to implement these relief awards whilst government guidance and software is put in place to make the necessary reductions. In the interim all businesses that fall into retail, leisure and hospitality sectors are not required to pay their April instalment as per the annual bills issued in March 2020.
Please note that if you pay by Direct Debit you will need to contact your bank to cancel this instalment.
We have been advised that the guidance for the rates holiday for retail, leisure and hospitality sector will be published on 20 March 2020, no specific information or time frame has been given with regards to the grants.
At South Gloucestershire Council we are committed to helping our businesses and communities during this difficult time by acting as quickly as possible. We are receiving a higher than normal level of contact and will be responding to all enquiries as effectively as possible.
- Full details of the pub relief scheme prior to increase award can be found here.
- The government Budget details can be found here Section 1.32.
- COVID-19 package can be found here
Council Tax and Non Domestic Rates – Liability Court Hearings
In order to protect the public from the threat of COVID-19, we have taken the decision to cancel Liability Order Hearings taking place on 25 March 20 for Non Domestic Rates and 8 April 20 for Council Tax.
The decision has been taken due to the unprecedented threat to public health posed by the outbreak of COVID-19, and will help to support official guidance about social distancing. These will be rescheduled for an alternative date. In the meantime, methods of payment can be located on this website. We will continue to keep you updated.