Council wins award for role in driving economic growth
This news article was published more than a year ago. Some of the information may no longer be accurate.
South Gloucestershire Council has been awarded Local Authority of the Year at the Insider South West Property Awards 2015, held in Bristol last night.
Event organisers Insider Media said South Gloucestershire has some fantastic projects on its patch including the Bristol & Bath Science Park and the National Composite Centre. Among its highlights for the year was Rolls-Royce’s decision to make Filton its new Advanced Composite Technology Development Centre against stiff national and international competition.
Cllr Brian Allinson, Chair of Planning, Transportation and Strategic Environment Committee, said: “We are delighted to win the Local Authority of the Year Award in this category which demonstrates our ongoing commitment to economic growth in South Gloucestershire for the benefit of our residents.”
The awards are open to entries from the public sector who are described as “truly open for business”. The Local Authority of the Year category is designed to recognise the role councils play in driving economic growth through improvements to infrastructure.
Some of the highlights which have been achieved over the past year centre on Filton, Emersons Green and the Avonmouth/Severnside area, including:
- Planning permission was granted to develop Filton Airfield brownfield site including 2,700 homes and 50 hectares of employment land
- Worked with the Bristol Aero Collection Trust to secure permission and funding for a £16m Bristol Aero Centre to house Concorde, whilst safeguarding listed WW1 hangars
- Approval in principle given for remaining Bristol and Bath Science Park land
- Supported development of a second phase of National Composites Centre which is a landmark site and a catalyst for industrial growth
- Coastal Communities funding secured from Government to create cycle-lane, employee shuttle-bus and to engage with the business community in this area
- Supporting Highways England to prioritise new M49 junction
A full list of winners is available online http://www.insidermedia.com/newsletters/events/south-west-property-awards-2015
Is there anything wrong with this page?
This form is for feedback about our website, not questions or comments about our services.
Follow this link to make a compliment or complaint. For anything else you can contact us here.