Pay your council tax
The annual council tax charge is normally payable over 10 statutory monthly instalments from April to January. However, this may alter if you have a change of circumstances during the financial year, such as moving house or receiving a discount/exemption. We accept different methods of payment.
When making payment, you need to quote your billing number and you can pay by:
- direct debit on 4th, 12th, 20th or 25th of each month (see below)
- using the internet
- internet banking (see below)
- telephone payments (24 hour service) on 0345 245 0682
- cheque (made payable to South Gloucestershire Council)
- postal order through the Post Office
- standing order (set this up with your bank)
- at the Post Office or Payzone outlet using the barcode on the reverse of your bill
When making payments, please remember:
If you choose to pay by credit card for Council Tax, an additional charge of 1.8% will be applied to cover bank charges. There will be no charge for debit cards.
With the exception of direct debit payments, all payments are due on your account by the 1st of each month. Please allow enough time for your payment to reach our account so that you do not fall into arrears.
To quote your 9 digit billing number which starts with a 4 and is shown on your bill.
In certain circumstances, council tax can be paid over 12 monthly instalments instead of the statutory 10 instalments. If you wish to pay by 12 instalments, please contact us using the email link on the right of this page.
Direct Debit offers you greater flexibility to make your Council tax payments and these can be made on the 4th, 12th, 20th and 25th of each month. If you have already received your Council tax bill, you can set up your Direct Debit online. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can download a direct debit mandate and return it to us not your bank.
When the direct debit has been set up for your Council tax account, a revised bill will be issued to you.
This method will normally take up to four working days to reach our bank account and you should make allowance for this to avoid falling into arrears. Please refer to your on-line bank for payment instructions. You will require the following:
- Our bank sort code is 55-61-38
- Our bank account number is 80105629
- Your 9 digit billing reference number
Is there anything wrong with this page?