Special waste including DIY waste
You can bring recyclable and non recyclable household waste to our Sort It recycling centres. However, there are some types of waste that we can only accept in small quantities, carry restrictions or we cannot accept. A full list of what you can take to each of the sites is on our What you can recycle page.
If any of your waste has been produced from a business or commercial activity, including home improvements carried out by someone you have paid, you cannot bring it to our Sort It recycling centres. It should be disposed of at a licensed site or through a skip hire service.
In order for us to make sure that we recycle as much as possible, you will be asked to open any bags of waste and remove any recyclable items before you can dispose of the waste. Alternatively, you can take the bags home to sort before your next visit to the recycling centre.
DIY and construction waste
This is not classed as household waste. However, we can accept small amounts from projects that you have carried out at home.
DIY and construction waste up to a maximum of 6 standard rubble sacks (or a standard car boot load with the seats up), per household, per month can be accepted at the Mangotsfield, Yate, and Thornbury Sort It recycling centres free of charge.
A rubble sack is based on a standard size of 53 x 82cm (20.8 x 32.2 inches) these dimensions are to illustrate the size of the bag and not the allowable volume.
Quantities over the 6 bag limit carry a charge payable to SUEZ (inclusive of VAT).
- £2.50 per bag over the 6 bag limit
Trailers – prices based on material left in the trailer after the 6 bag limit has been reached
- up to 1 metre in length – £10
- between 1 metre and 1.5 metres in length – £15
- between 1.5 metres and 2 metres in length – £25
Large vans and trailers are not permitted at the Little Stoke Sort It recycling centre. There are no facilities for hardcore/rubble, plasterboard, asbestos, tyres or household recycling at this site.
We can accept the following hazardous waste in small quantities. Please speak to a member of staff so they can be stored safely in a secure area.
- asbestos – there are containers at Mangotsfield, Yate and Thornbury for bonded sheet asbestos. It must be double wrapped in sealed plastic before being placed in the special skip and a maximum of 6 sheets or the equivalent if not in complete sheets.
- engine oil –1 gallon (5 litres) per visit
- fire extinguishers – household sizes only
- fluorescent tubes and energy saving light bulbs
- lead-acid car batteries
- medicines and pharmaceuticals
- mobile phones
- poisons, pesticides, herbicides, wood preservatives and weed killers
- photographic chemicals
- refrigerators and freezers
- solvents and other flammables (for example paraffin)
- televisions and computer monitors
- toxic paints and paint strippers
- vehicle tyres – only four tyres per household per year
Items that cannot be accepted:
- petrol, diesel – you will need to find a contractor to take these
- gas bottles – these remain the property of the supplier and should be returned to them
- Japanese knotweed – this is an invasive species that cannot be disposed of with household waste
- waste produced as a result of a commercial or business activity – commercial waste can be taken over the weighbridges at our transfer stations next to the public sites at Carsons Road, Mangotsfield and Collett Way, Yate. Charges apply.
- vehicles or car parts containing hazardous material or substances (including residue) such as fuel, oil, brake fluid etc. If you have a caravan, a large quantity of vehicle parts, or vehicle to dispose of, contact a vehicle dismantler. Remember to ask to see a Waste Carriers License and check where the waste will be taken.
- industrial or commercial fire extinguishers
You can now register your vehicle for the Sort It centres.