Skip to main content

Get ready for Brexit. Information on how we are preparing for Brexit in South Gloucestershire.

Making a planning application

Planning applications can be made online using the planning portal service or by downloading the relevant forms and returning them to us.

Further guidance on making a planning application is available in national Planning Practice Guidance.

Types of planning applications

There are different types of application forms depending on the type of development you are making. Below is a list of the different applications and some examples of development they can be used for.

Householder applications

If you are applying for planning permission for domestic works within the grounds of a single dwelling. For example:

  • erecting an extension to a house – a conservatory, single or two storey extensions, loft conversion
  • building a porch
  • constructing a car port or garage
  • converting an existing domestic garage into additional living accommodation
  • constructing a garden wall
  • erecting a garden shed or domestic outbuilding
  • creating a driveway and access onto a highway

Planning applications

If you are applying for full planning which would exclude householder applications. For example:

  • development for non-residential premises, including shops, schools and hospitals
  • change of use applications
  • alteration to shop fronts
  • large scale and major development proposals
  • housing developments
  • outline and reserved matters applications

If you wish to apply for outline permission or approval of reserved matters. These applications are not suitable for householder applications.

Conservation, heritage and natural environment applications

If you wish to apply for consent for works to listed buildings, trees covered by a tree preservation order or within a conservation area or for the removal of hedgerows

Prior notifications

If you wish to find out whether prior approval is required for certain types of telecommunications or agricultural development or proposed demolition of buildings.

Miscellaneous planning applications

If you wish to apply for development requiring advertisement consent, approval of conditions reserved by condition (different from a reserved matters application), removal or variation of condition or certificate of lawfulness

Is there anything wrong with this page?