Skip to main content

Get ready for Brexit. Information on how we are preparing for Brexit in South Gloucestershire.

Fences, gates and garden walls

You need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

  • it would be over one metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of a highway) or over two metres high elsewhere
  • your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by a planning condition or article 4 direction or
  • your house is a listed building or in the immediate area of a listed building

You do not need planning permission to take down a fence, wall, or gate, or to alter or improve an existing fence, wall or gate if you are not increasing its height. In a conservation area you might need conservation area consent.

If you are not sure whether you need planning permission, please contact us. ‚Äč

Is there anything wrong with this page?