Skip to main content

Industrial pollution control

Information on the regulation of certain industrial installations.

Under the Environmental Permitting Regulations, installations are divided into three categories:

  • Part A1 – sites which could pollute land, air and water. Regulation is referred to as Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC)
  • Part A2 – sites which could pollute land, air and water, but to a lesser extent. Regulation is referred to as Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC).
  • Part B – sites where the main pollution risk is to air. Regulation is referred to as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC).
    We regulate part A2 and part B sites. The Environment Agency is responsible for regulating part A1 sites.


The council issues operating permits to over 80 part B installations and three part A2 installations. There are also 11 part A1 installations in South Gloucestershire. They are known as ‘permitted installations’. These permits place conditions on the industries, designed to prevent harm to human health and minimise the impact on the environment. We periodically review the permits and conditions to take into account developments in working practices and technology.  We also inspect these industries regularly to check they are complying with the conditions. We inspect industries that are rated a low risk less frequently than those rated a high risk. The risk rating is made up of two components:

  • Environmental Impact Appraisal (EIA) – this assesses possible environmental problems, taking into account an installation’s location and type
  • Operator Performance Appraisal (OPA) – this assesses how well the operator manages the potential environmental impact of the process

If you would like to see copies of the permits and other relevant information (such as monitoring results) please contact us to view the public register.

Applying for a permit

If you need more information, please contact us or else you can download guidance from the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). To apply for a permit for a new process or for transfer of ownership, please download an application form. For current fees, please contact us or visit the DEFRA website.


We have published an Environmental Permitting Newsletter

Is there anything wrong with this page?