Skip to main content

Building regulations - building notices

A building notice is more appropriate for minor works, for example minor internal alterations to a domestic property or replacement windows in a domestic property.

A building notice cannot be used for works to a shop, office, hotel, boarding house, workplace, certain types of factory or if a public sewer is within 3 metres of the property.

A building notice allows you to carry out works without the need to prepare full plans. However, you will not have an approved set of plans for a builder to follow and the proposals will not be assessed until a Building Control surveyor makes their first site inspection.

Application forms are available to download. Charges for building notices include the total of the ‘plan’ and the ‘inspection’ fee. They are payable when the building notice is submitted.

Is there anything wrong with this page?