Skip to main content

Our online services for planning, building control and licensing applications will be unavailable tomorrow from 12pm to 2pm, Saturday 3 December. This is due to essential maintenance.

Key facts and figures

South Gloucestershire covers an area of 53,664.7 hectares (or 536.6 sq km), with a population of 282,600. 87% of the population live in urban areas, largely in the built up areas immediately adjoining Bristol and the towns of Yate and Thornbury. The remaining 13% live in the more rural areas of South Gloucestershire.

According to the 2011 census, 5% of the district’s population were of black and minority ethnic origin.

Data about South Gloucestershire comes from a number of different sources and changes regularly. If you would like to check that you have the most up to date information please contact us.

View the South Gloucestershire key facts and figures infographic

South Gloucestershire​    England​ Notes/ Sources​
Area​ 53,664.7​ ha Total administrative area (Cartesian Measure)​
Population​ 282,600 (ONS mid year population estimates, 2018)
Population density​ 5.3 (persons per hectare)​
Black and Minority Ethnicity residents​ 13,193  (5% of total population)​    14% (England    and Wales)​ Source: Census 2011​
Unemployment rate​ 3.1%​ 4.1%​ Source: Office of National Statistics, Annual Population Survey Mar 2019 – via NOMIS​
Average earnings (Gross Annual pay – full time)​ £30,720 £29,869​ Source: Annual survey of hours and earning 2018 – via NOMIS
Average house price​ £270,000 ​£240,000 Source: Office of National Statistics, House Price Statistics for small areas Dec 2018


Is there anything wrong with this page?