Skip to main content

Our online forms for school meals, free childcare and applying online for a school place will be unavailable on Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 May. This is due to essential maintenance.

Personal licence

This type of licence is required to sell alcohol and is required in addition to a premises licence.

Premises selling alcohol require two licences – one for the premises and one for the person or persons responsible for the sale of alcohol.

Persons must satisfy the following criteria before the council can issue a personal licence:

  • age 18 years or over
  • possess a relevant licensing qualification
  • have not forfeited a personal licence within the last 5 years
  • the police have not raised any objections to the granting of a personal licence
  • if the police have raised objections to the granting of a licence, the council has decided not to act on the objection being made
  • the appropriate fee has been made
  • the DBS certificate is dated within 28 days of submitting your application

Licence validity

Personal Licences are no longer time limited to 10 years, unless they are surrendered, suspended or declared forfeit by the courts. The grant of the licence is a one-off process.

The requirement to renew personal licences issued under the Licensing Act 2003 was abolished, this took effect from 1 April 2015.

Once a licence is granted the licensee can use it anywhere in either England or Wales and does not have to apply for a new licence when a change of work location occurs.

The licence holder though is required to notify the issuing council of any changes of names or address.​

If you wish to apply and/or for further guidance please visit the Personal Licence Applications page

For fees, please visit our Fees and prices list

Is there anything wrong with this page?