The extent of the maintenance being carried out on the Bromley Heath Viaduct will require the southern viaduct to be closed to all traffic for the duration of the project. This is because the removal of the worn out parts of the structure will mean that it is too weak to safely carry any traffic until the maintenance is complete.
A contraflow will be in operation taking the current two lanes in both directions over the viaducts will reduce to one lane in each direction
Therefore, a crossover link will be created for the duration of the work, see the map below that illustrates how people and vehicles will be able to travel over the viaduct.
Use the strategic network where possible
Use M4 junction 18 for both west and east journey as an alternative route to avoid the A4174 ring road and access the M4.
We have installed new traffic lights at the junction of the B4465 with the A46 to make it easier to access the M4.
Signs warning of the delays will be displayed on motorways and major routes throughout the wider region.
Local road closures
Residents in surrounding villages told us they did not want us to close numerous local roads to prevent residential areas from becoming alternative routes. We have listened to their views and changed our traffic management plans and will only be closing narrow lanes where large volumes of traffic are not suitable. Access for residents and walkers and cyclists will be maintained.
People travelling from the Yate area who wish to access the M32 for Bristol are advised to use the B4058 through Winterbourne and avoid the works area, instead of the A432 through Coalpit Heath.
Changes to the Hambrook traffic lights
There are a number of changes being made to the direction at the Hambrook traffic lights on the ring road. These are being made to maximise traffic flow east to west after the work area on the A4174.
- Westbound there will be no right turn onto the B4058 (Bristol Road) towards Winterbourne
- Westbound the left hand only lane becomes left hand and ahead lane
- From Frenchay, there will be no right turn onto the A4174 ring road eastbound
- From Frenchay, there will be no straight ahead onto B4058 (Bristol Road) towards Winterbourne
- From Frenchay, an additional left turn lane will be in operation to create two left turn only lanes
- From Winterbourne, the ahead only lane will become right turn and ahead lane creating a third right turn lane
Changes to the Bromley Heath roundabout
Changes being made to the direction of travel around the roundabout will help traffic merge into a single lane before the contraflow.
- Eastbound one lane of traffic will cease ahead of the roundabout and contraflow
- From Bromley Heath, one lane of traffic will be able to turn left into the contraflow. An additional lane to turn right onto the westbound carriageway of the ring road has been created
This is one of the busiest sections of the A4174 and will cause significant delays. We understand that this scheme may cause disruption and disturbance to residents, communities and businesses and would like to apologise in advance and kindly ask for your patience whilst this work is taking place.
To help facilitate traffic movements and alleviate traffic congestion during the works, we will be out in force monitoring junctions, traffic lights and yellow boxes when the contraflow goes into operation.
We are operating a flexible approach to the traffic management and if considered necessary and appropriate, we will implement traffic management measures to help ease congestion where possible.Is there anything wrong with this page?