Discretionary housing payment (DHP)
A DHP is a discretionary housing payment. It is an award to give extra help towards payment of your rent.
To be considered for a DHP, the customer must:
- be in receipt of housing benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit (for rent)
- have a shortfall between the amount of benefit they receive and the amount of eligible rent they have to pay
- have difficulty meeting this shortfall
A DHP can be considered if the shortfall is due to:
- local housing allowance restriction / rent officer restriction
- the income used in the calculation
- a non-dependant deduction
- the size criteria in the social rented sector (the ‘bedroom tax’)
- the benefit cap
If you wish to make an application by post, please print and complete the relevant form opposite and provide any supporting evidence.
If you wish to claim in person, hand in forms and documents for your application or seek advice about it, you can visit one of our one stop shops in Kingswood, Thornbury, Yate and Patchway.
Please complete the correct form for either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.Is there anything wrong with this page?