Skip to main content

Coronavirus: latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available

Online planning, building control and licensing services will be unavailable 13 July 2020 between 8am and 4pm due to essential maintenance.

Independent advocacy support

An independent advocate can support and represent a person, to help them get involved in the way their care and support is planned and delivered.

An advocate can also help someone to get the information they need relating to their care to help them understand it.

An independent advocate may be needed by a person who:

  • has substantial difficulty in being fully involved in the planning and delivery of their care and
  • who has no-one else appropriate available to support and represent their wishes

When a person is assessed, the assessment will take account of the person’s ability to:

  • understand information
  • remember information
  • weigh up information
  • communicate their views, wishes and feelings

Who might need an independent advocacy service?

The aim of independent advocacy is for people’s wishes, feelings and needs to be at the heart of the way their care and support is planned and delivered.  An independent advocate is able to represent someone and support their best interests.

Any adult may need independent advocacy support, including a person:

  • who has a disability
  • who has a learning difficulty
  • who has mental health problems
  • who has a problem communicating what they want
  • who has problems understanding and/ or remembering things
  • who has problems weighing up things
  • who is a carer
  • who wants to complain about the care they receive
  • who wants to complain about NHS services

Support may also be needed by young people who will need support and care after they reach the age of 18.

For more information please visit Swan Advocacy’s website

Is there anything wrong with this page?