Bikeability in schools
Level One is run in the school playground for pupils in year three and four for up to 12 riders, however depending on the size of the playground we could accommodate a whole class.
Riders must have a roadworthy cycle and properly fitted cycle helmet and must be able to already ride. The training is two hours. All riders must have a completed consent form. Training is run normally during a morning session (depending on playtime).
Level Two on-Road Bikeability training is aimed at pupils in years five and six and is designed to teach riders to ride on local roads.
Riders must be able to ride a bike competently and have a roadworthy bike and a properly fitted cycle helmet and a completed consent form to take part. The training is 5 x 90 minute sessions which can be run once a week or over the course of a week (block week) depending on availability during the term.
Training sessions run from 09:15–10:45 and 11:00–12:30 or 13:15-14:45.
All morning courses can have a maximum number of 20 riders. Afternoon courses can have a maximum of 10 riders, however we can book more than one course to allow a greater number to train depending on local roads.
Please note – if a rider is absent for any reason during their course they will not be allowed to continue.
Level Three is aimed at pupils in Year seven+ (during summer holidays children moving into year seven who have developed their riding skills) and have already achieved level two Bikeability. Training is on busier roads and more complex junctions. Riders must have a roadworthy cycle and properly fitted cycle helmet and consent form. The training is four hours.
How to apply
Schools are able to book a term in advance. Please provide us with information on year group, Bikeability level, preferred dates and times and number of children by completing and returning the attached form to email@example.com
Term 1 Dates
Tuesday 3 September am
Wednesday 4 September am
Thursday 5 September am
Level 2 – weekly
Monday 9 September am
Monday 9 September pm
Tuesday 10 September am
Tuesday 10 September pm
Wednesday 11 September am
Wednesday 11 September pm
Thursday 12 September am
Thursday 12 September pm
Friday 13 September am
Friday 13 September pm
Level 2 – block week
Monday 14 October – Friday 18 October
Level three is available upon request please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
School holiday courses
For summer school holiday courses please contact email@example.com to be registered on our waiting list.
- All elements of the training must be achieved to a competent, confident and consistent standard to gain the Bikeability standard
- The sessions are incremental, so if a trainee misses a session they may not be able to continue on to the next session
- All trainees must have a signed and completed consent form
- Trainees must have and be able to ride a roadworthy bicycle
- Trainees must have a properly fitted cycle helmet
- All Instructors are DBS checked and work for the council’s Road Safety Team.
- Bikeability certificates are awarded to all trainees who successfully complete the course
- We actively encourage schools to book level 2 courses for Year 6 children but due to high demand in Terms 5/6 we recommend booking throughout the academic year especially for large year groups.
- Year 5 children can only attend Level 2 courses in Terms 5 and 6.
Is there anything wrong with this page?