Skip to main content

Coronavirus (Covid-19): latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available.

Full national restrictions on GOV.UK.

  • Sort It centre closures for weekends 21-22 and 28-29 November
  • Online planning, building control and licensing services will be unavailable 24 – 26 November due to a system upgrade.
    Some of our online services will also be unavailable on 24 November due to essential maintenance.

Becoming a safe moped rider

A brief guide to getting started as a safe moped rider.

For full rules and variations for people with car driving licences, please check the Driving Standards Agency website.

Provisional licence

You must be aged 16 or over to ride a moped. Before you first ride a scooter or motorbike, you will need to get the right provisional licence. You can get an application form from post offices.

Compulsory Basic Training

Before you ride your bike on the road you will need to take a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course with a registered CBT centre. The Driving Standards Agency is the government agency that sets the standards, administers the tests and registers test centres for driving tests for all vehicles.

After your CBT

If you pass your CBT, you are entitled to ride on your own with an L-plate.

But remember – you are much more vulnerable than a car driver. Even if you do not plan to get your full motorcycling licence, extra training could help you stay safe. We run free training courses for scooters and mopeds.

Getting your motorcycle licence

You can ride a light motorcycle with L-plates once you are 17, if you have a provisional motorcycle licence and have taken your CBT.

If you want to progress to larger bikes and ride without L-plates, you will need to take more tests. These depend on your age and the type of bike you want to ride.

Please ask your motorbike instructor or see the Driving Standards Agency website for more details. 

Is there anything wrong with this page?