Rosary roundabout - widening and signalisation
- Status – work commenced 4 January 2016
- Duration – approximately 26 weeks
- Completion – summer 2016
The current situation
The final surfacing of the new road layout is complete and the traffic signals were commissioned on the 8 June. The scheme is now substantially complete and all temporary traffic management has been removed. The work is still subject to final inspection and road safety audit which may result in some minor changes. These are expected to be minimal.
In order to comply with the planning conditions for the new residential development at Lyde Green, the existing Rosary roundabout will be widened and have traffic signals installed on each arm. Additional dedicated left turn lanes will also be provided on the ring road for the retail park and the housing development. This will ensure that any delays caused by traffic entering and leaving these areas are minimised. Improvements to the existing shared use path, street lighting and crossing points will also be incorporated, which will improve safety for all users.
Purpose of scheme
- to minimise delays to traffic entering and leaving the new housing development and retail park
- increase safety for non motorised users e.g. cyclists/pedestrians
- provide a dedicated left turn lane for vehicles entering the Lyde Green housing development and the retail park from the A4174
Proposed scheme details and drawing
- create new left turn lanes off the A4174 and Emerson Way
- widen the inside of the roundabout to create three traffic lanes
- upgrade the existing drainage, street lighting and traffic signs
- improve the crossing points and realign the shared use path
- resurface the roundabout and approaches and lay new road markings
Frequently asked questions
What are you doing?
We are installing traffic signals on the roundabout, as well as making additional left turn lanes and improving crossing points.
What is the cost and who is paying?
The work is being fully funded by the Lyde Green housing development as part of the planning conditions, and are being undertaken by our Streetcare and Transport team.
What will the benefits be when the work is complete?
Installing traffic signals will improve traffic flows through the roundabout and improve crossing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
When will work start?
Works commenced on 4 January 2016
When will work finish?
The estimated duration is 26 weeks, with works substantially complete by summer 2016.
What traffic management will be in place?
The inside lane of the roundabout will be permanently closed, with additional lane closures in place during off peak hours (9:30 am – 3:30 pm) as works progress.
How will you keep people informed as work progresses?
Updates and information will be posted on this webpage
Journey times will increase significantly due to this work – what will you do about that?
Delays to traffic will always occur when there is traffic management in place, but we have tried to minimise the impact of this by opening as much of the road as possible when traffic flows are highest (before 9:30am and after 3:30 pm).
I want to complain or ask a question about these road works – how can I do that?
Contact Streetcare & Transport services on (01454) 860000 or email email@example.comIs there anything wrong with this page?