Skip to main content

Road Opening Licence – Section 50

​Any work in the public highway, for example where a new road connects to the existing public highway and works are required within that highway, requires the approval of the highway authority before commencement of any such works.

We may grant a road opening or Road Opening Licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) to permit these works.

An application must be submitted to the council with appropriate fees. The notice period (one week to three months) is relevant depending on the classification of highway.

The Road Opening Licence (Section 50) documents:

No work whatsoever will be allowed on, over or under an adopted highway until these formalities have been completed. In addition to the above, the developer shall comply with Part III of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.

Is there anything wrong with this page?