Skip to main content

Highway licences

If you propose to occupy or open part of a road (i.e. carriageway, footway, footpath or cycle path), there is a requirement to obtain permission from the local roads authority by applying for the relevant permit.

You should read the relevant conditions for the type of licence you require before completing the application form.

We will need a site location plan showing the location of your apparatus in relation to the property before we can start processing your application. This can be any form of visual plan, for example a photo, drawing, or screenshot.

In some circumstances it may be necessary for us to turn down applications because the proposed site is considered to be potentially hazardous. In these cases the fee remains non-refundable. You should allow five working days for us to process your application. We will not begin to process your application until we have received all of the relevant information.


We have relaxed conditions for outdoor trading licences to support businesses recover from the coronavirus pandemic. This includes waiving the application fee and the requirement for planning permission in some instances. Please complete the form and return to us in the normal way and we will contact you.


Where possible, skips should be placed within property boundaries. If you would like to hire a skip to be placed on private land, i.e. in a front garden, then no licence is required.

Road occupation – in connection with building work

Includes cranes, cherry pickers, building materials, scaffolding, hoarding, porta cabins and huts

Highway projections

Includes bridges, canopies, banners, wires and signs

Road opening – Section 50

Further information on Section 50 licences

Is there anything wrong with this page?