Street lighting - environmental impact
We strive to provide a sustainable environment for everyone in South Gloucestershire. In line with our Carbon Management Plan we are committed to reducing our impact on the environment in the form of its carbon footprint.
From a street lighting perspective this means:
- reduce to a minimum the need for street lighting wherever possible
- minimise energy usage and production of greenhouse gases indirectly or directly
- minimise the requirement for new equipment by reusing materials where possible e.g. sign faces, photo cells, lanterns
- ensure where ever possible all waste from street lighting is recycled to:
- minimise landfill requirements
- ensure obligations under the WEEE Directive are met.
- ensure all new and replacement lighting is:
- proven to be energy efficient and effective
- meet British Standards
- designed and manufactured to a high quality
- ensure new and replacement lighting schemes minimise environmental impact such as light spillage and intrusion
- utilise latest technology to minimise light pollution
- carbon/energy usage and savings will be monitored and reported quarterly