Skip to main content

Dropped kerbs

A crossing across a public footpath or verge that allows your vehicle to gain access to your property from the highway is known as a ‘dropped kerb’ or vehicle crossing. Find out how to apply for a residential property.

For commercial premises please apply for a Section 184 licence.

Planning permission

There are a number of considerations when assessing whether the creation of a vehicular access (or dropped kerb) and hard standing require planning permission.

If the vehicular crossing will involve access on to and from a classified road, it will require planning permission. A classified road is a main or trunk road. Our customer contact centre will be able to advise you of this.

Additionally, planning permission is required to lay traditional impermeable driveways if over 5m². This is because they cause uncontrolled run-off of rainwater from front gardens onto roads, which can contribute to flooding, and pollution of watercourses.

However, if you wish to benefit from permitted development for your proposed hard surface it must be constructed from porous materials or provision made to direct run-off water from the hard surface to a permeable or porous surface within the curtilage (garden area) of the dwelling

In most circumstances if the hard surface is constructed in the manner described above it will not require planning permission.

However there are a number of considerations you may wish to take into account before proceeding

  • some properties do not benefit from this type of permitted development
  • where any engineering activity is involved in the proposal this may be classed as development that requires planning permission. An example of this is where the construction work could result in the changes in site levels
  • where the proposed vehicular access and hard surface isn’t limited to the curtilage of your dwelling or “highway” land. This will include grass verges and amenity land

If your property or proposal involves any of the issues above you may wish to call our Customer Contact Centre where you will be able to seek further advice.

It is illegal for an unauthorised dropped kerb to be installed; you may be subject to legal enforcement and the full costs of reinstating the kerb and path, costs can be upwards of £800.

Street lighting/trees close to crossing

An inspection by us will determine whether it would be permitted for the street furniture to be repositioned or if work can be carried out near the tree. With street lighting you will be given a fixed price quotation for all costs involved, and will have to pay the full amount. We must carry out this work.

Third party apparatus (i.e. telegraph poles, street cabinets, inspection covers)

If these require alterations it is your responsibility to contact the utility company directly, co-ordinate and pay for the works yourself. We will advise you if we feel any such alterations are required.

Note: It is best to obtain estimates of costs from utility companies prior to undertaking any works as sometimes their costs can be extremely high.


We generally assess to meet a minimum width of 2.4m and a minimum length 4.8m (not exact measurements). Any proposed parking area must be perpendicular (at right angles) to the building frontage or alongside the building (not at an angle). See the attached guidance notes for further information.


After a footway crossing has been built to our required specification, where the crossing is constructed on the adopted highway it will be the responsibility of the highway authority to maintain. This is why it has to be built to the specification supplied.

Is there anything wrong with this page?