Skip to main content

Roads – 6. Create or Amend a Vehicular Access Section 184 Licence

Creating or amending a vehicular access on the public highway requires Highway Authority permission. It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 to drive motorised vehicles across the footway or verge where no dropped kerb is present. To apply for permission to drop a kerb at a single domestic property please refer to drop kerbs.

For commercial premises, development site accesses (both temporary and permanent), car parks, multiple residential properties and all other requests to drop a kerb it is necessary to apply for a licence under Section 184 Highways Act 1980.

Larger, more complex works may instead require an agreement under Section 278. You will be informed on application if this is the case.

In all cases applicants should contact the Planning department to ascertain whether planning permission is required. Please be able to provide evidence of this decision on application.

The following information is essential for every Section 184 licence application. Failure to provide the required information may delay your works.

  • Payment of fee.
  • Scale plan of works showing engineering detail in accordance with South Gloucestershire’s Highway Specification.
  • Traffic management plan applying Chapter 8 Traffic Signs Manual to the works. Please remember that this relates to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
  • Street works photo cards of accredited operative(s) and supervisor.
  • Proof of public liability insurance of no less than £5 million.
  • Start date and anticipated duration of the works.
  • For temporary accesses please provide an anticipated date of reinstatement.
  • Confirmation that all relevant statutory undertakers have been consulted and no buried equipment will be affected. It is the applicant’s responsibility to arrange for the diversion / relocation of any services affected by the works.
  • Planning reference, if relevant.

Notice of works in the highway must be put in place prior to the start date. This books the necessary road space and prevents two contractors attempting to work at the same location at the same time. The duration of the notice period depends on the duration and complexity of the works. Please be aware that time is required to process applications, to check plans and confirm availability of road space. Early application is recommended.

Further information is included in the Section 184 licence application pack. Should the works necessitate temporary signals / traffic lights please fill in the Traffic Signals Form in word format.

Section 184 is a provision to alter the existing public highway under licence, it does not allow for the alteration of the highway boundary.

Is there anything wrong with this page?