Skip to main content

Our online forms for school meals, free childcare and applying online for a school place will be unavailable on Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 May. This is due to essential maintenance.

Parking information

Parking can be an emotive and contentious issue with the amount of vehicles on the roads nowadays. Illegal and inconsiderate parking affects everybody who uses the roads within South Gloucestershire. Enforcement is necessary to persuade motorists to comply with the regulations in force in order to

  • improve traffic flow and ease congestion
  • ensure safety for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles
  • ensure fair use of limited parking spaces
  • improve access for all
  • protect and improve our environment

Obstruction and dangerous parking are still police matters. They can be contacted by calling 101. We can only enforce where there are parking restrictions such as double yellow lines in place. The exception for this is dropped footways where the kerb has been lowered to allow pedestrians to cross, which do not require signs or line markings.

Any revenue generated from our parking enforcement activities is used to fund the parking enforcement service. If there are any additional funds, these must be used for transport initiatives under central government policy.

You can read our parking enforcement policy here.

Here are some common queries we receive

Bank Holidays and School Holidays

On street parking restrictions and bus lanes are still applicable on Sundays and bank holidays. Parking restrictions by schools still apply during school holidays unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Parking on the pavement and dropped kerbs

Parking on the pavement, particularly when it obstructs wheelchair users is a matter for the local police. They can be contacted by calling 101.

Dealing with parking on pavements and verges where it is public highway and where there are yellow lines on the road alongside them is the responsibility of the council. You can contact us regarding this by calling 01454 868000 or by emailing

Parking across driveways

The police are responsible for enforcing legislation relating to parking across driveways and entrances. If the vehicle is causing an obstruction you should call them on 101. Under normal circumstances this will not be regarded as an emergency and so it might take some time for the police to get there.

In the meantime, some local enquiries with neighbours may help to trace the owner of the vehicle.

Parking in cul-de-sacs

Parking in cul-de-sacs can make it difficult for residents to get out of their driveways or turn around.

In some cases residents have asked for white ‘keep clear’ markings to ease the situation. We limit the provision of these in residential areas because of concern that if there are too many, drivers will not respect them. Also introducing ‘keep clear’ markings in one place may only move the problem to a different place.

It is essential that ‘keep clear’ markings are only used where:

  • emergency vehicles or service vehicles have had access problems
  • there is an identified injury accident problem and / or
  • pedestrian crossing points are obstructed

Some residents ask for a new section of single or double yellow lines. We have to get a Traffic Regulation Order for such markings otherwise they cannot be enforced. To get such an order we have to consult bodies such as the emergency services and publicise the proposals so that anyone can raise an objection. This can take more than a year to complete and the Council does not have the resources to carry out this process for single sites.

However, if you think there is a good case for yellow lines in your area, write to us at

South Gloucestershire Council
Transportation Services
Assess and Decide Team
PO Box 1954
BS37 0DD

We will keep your request on file for when there is a traffic management review of your area.

Overnight parking for lorries

If a vehicle weighs more than 3.5 tonnes then it may be subject to the operator’s licence regime for HGVs (Goods vehicles (licensing of operators) Act 1995), in which case conditions relating to on-street parking may be attached to the licence. When a licence is granted the licensing authority has to be satisfied that the proposed operating centre is a suitable place. An operating centre may be an off-street yard, or in the case of an owner-driver, it may be the area outside where they live.

If you have any concerns about this issue in your area, you may wish to contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)


Phone: 0300 123 9000

If a large vehicle is causing an obstruction then you should report the matter to the police by calling 101. They may be able to take enforcement action, however if the parking is merely inconvenient or anti-social there may be little the Police can do.


Is there anything wrong with this page?