Skip to main content

Our online forms for school meals, free childcare and applying online for a school place will be unavailable on Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 May. This is due to essential maintenance.

Camera car enforcement and fines

Why use a camera car?

The camera car is used to tackle areas that have proved difficult to enforce by other means. It is used to enforce

  • school ‘keep clear’ zigzag markings
  • bus stops

The car is fitted with a camera and automatic number plate recognition technology to capture any parking infringements.

The decision to use a parking enforcement car follows a pilot, consultation and a formal decision made by the Communities Committee. You can read the report here.

How are the fines issued?

Rather than being attached to the vehicle or handed to the driver, fines are issued by post, using the driver details held by the DVLA. All parking infringements are checked by a Civil Enforcement Officer before a Penalty Charge Notice is issued.

How do I view the evidence you have?

If you receive a fine the letter will contain a web code. You can use that code to log in here to see evidence of the infringement.

How do I pay the fine?

DO NOT pay if you wish to challenge the fine as payment will be taken as acceptance of the Penalty Charge Notice.

You will need your reference number, starting with GS, which can be found on your Penalty Charge Notice and your vehicle registration number.

There are various ways to pay:

  • you can pay the fine online
  • you can pay via our 24hr automated telephone line on 0345 245 0682
  • you can pay in person at PayZone in shops (cash only) or at the Post Office (by cash / cheque / credit or debit card)
  • you can pay by post by sending a cheque or postal order along with the completed payment slip to

South Gloucestershire Council
Department for Environment and Community Services
Parking Services
PO Box 1954
BS37 0DD

Please note we do not accept cash or card by post and we also do not accept post-dated cheques.

How do I challenge the fine?

This is called a formal representation.

You can challenge the fine online here

You can challenge by post by writing to

South Gloucestershire Council
Department for Environment and Community Services
Parking Services
PO Box 1954

You must include the GS reference number from the notice, along with your name and address.

All enquiries must be made in writing so that we have an audit trail of all correspondence and the reasons behind any decisions made.

What happens when I challenge?

If you challenge within the discounted period, you will still have a chance to pay at the discounted rate if you are rejected.

The letter you receive through the post is called a “Notice to Owner”. You have 28 days from the date served (this will be stated on the letter) to challenge the Notice to Owner. This is called a formal representation. When we receive a formal representation your case is put on hold and no further action will be taken until we have reviewed and responded to your representation.

If your representation is accepted, you will be sent a response advising you of this and there will be nothing to pay.

If your representation is rejected, you will receive a “Notice of Rejection”. This will advise you that you can either pay the charge or appeal to the independent adjudicator – the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Notice of Rejection will contain the details to enable you to do this. You cannot appeal to the adjudicator until you have received your Notice of Rejection.

What if I ignore it?

If a Notice to Owner remains unpaid after 21 days then a Charge Certificate is sent and the charge is increased by 50%.

If the Charge Certificate remains unpaid after 7 days a Pre-Debt letter (reminder) will be sent out giving 7 days to pay before an Order for Recovery is sent out and the debt is registered at the Traffic Enforcement Centre. An £8 charge will be added when the debt is registered.

If the debt remains unpaid after 21 days a Warrant of Control is issued and the debt is sent to Enforcement Agents.

Where can I get independent advice?

You can obtain independent advice on parking regulations and the enforcement of PCNs from PATROL UK. Their website is



Is there anything wrong with this page?