Skip to main content

Bus lane enforcement and fines

Why do we enforce bus lanes?

Our bus lane cameras address the abuse of bus lanes and bus gates by unauthorised traffic and help to ensure the reliability of local bus services. The bus cameras also ensure bus journeys are not delayed and the enforcement also helps to remove unauthorised traffic which could delay emergency vehicles.

All our signs and road markings comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions legislation. The monitoring system uses automatic number plate recognition to identify unauthorised vehicles and generate penalty notices. In addition, each potential infringement will be reviewed by a qualified officer.

Where are the bus lane enforcement cameras?

There are currently eleven fixed bus lane enforcement cameras in South Gloucestershire. These are located at:

  • Highwood Road, Patchway (eastbound and westbound)
  • New Road/Brierly Furlong in Stoke Gifford
  • Gloucester Road in Aztec West
  • Bradley Stoke Way junction onto A38 (southbound)
  • Bradley Stoke Way southbound at the junction with Great Stoke roundabout and Winterbourne Road
  • Coldharbour Lane (by UWE roundabout)
  • Regent Street Kingswood
  • Filton Avenue southbound onto Station Road
  • Stoke Gifford Bypass northbound (just before Parkway roundabout)
  • Bradley Stoke Way northbound (before Patchway Brook roundabout)

How are the fines issued?

Fines are issued by post using the driver details held by the DVLA. All potential infringements are checked by a Civil Enforcement Officer before a Penalty Charge Notice is issued.

How do I view the evidence you have?

If you receive a fine, the letter will contain a web code. You can use that code to log in here to see evidence of the infringement.

How do I pay the fine?

You will need your reference number, starting with GS, which can be found on your Penalty Charge Notice and your vehicle registration number.

There are various ways to pay your fine and include:

  • you can pay the fine online
  • pay via our 24hr automated telephone line on 0345 245 0682
  • pay in person at PayZone in shops (cash only) or at the Post Office (by cash / cheque / credit or debit card)
  • pay by post by sending a cheque or postal order along with the completed payment slip to:

South Gloucestershire Council
Department for Environment and Community Services
Parking Services
PO Box 1954
BS37 0DD

Please note we do not accept cash or card by post and we also do not accept post-dated cheques.

DO NOT pay if you wish to challenge the fine as payment will be taken as acceptance of the Penalty Charge Notice.

How do I challenge the fine?

This is called a formal representation.

South Gloucestershire Council
Department for Environment and Community Services
Parking Services
PO Box 1954

You must include the GS reference number from the notice, along with your name and address.

All enquiries must be made in writing so that we have an audit trail of all correspondence and the reasons behind any decisions made.

What happens when I challenge?

If you challenge within the discounted period, you will still have a chance to pay at the discounted rate if you are rejected.

The letter you receive through the post is called a “Notice to Owner”. You have 28 days from the date served (this will be stated on the letter) to challenge the Notice to Owner. This is called a formal representation. When we receive a formal representation your case is put on hold and no further action will be taken until we have reviewed and responded to your representation.

If your representation is accepted, you will be sent a response advising you of this and there will be nothing to pay.

If your representation is rejected, you will receive a “Notice of Rejection”. This will advise you that you can either pay the charge or appeal to the independent adjudicator – the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Notice of Rejection will contain the details to enable you to do this. You cannot appeal to the adjudicator until you have received your Notice of Rejection.

What if I ignore it?

If a Notice to Owner remains unpaid after 21 days then a Charge Certificate is sent and the charge is increased by 50%.

If the Charge Certificate remains unpaid after 7 days a Pre-Debt letter (reminder) will be sent out giving 7 days to pay before an Order for Recovery is sent out and the debt is registered at the Traffic Enforcement Centre. An £8 charge will be added when the debt is registered.

If the debt remains unpaid after 21 days a Warrant of Control is issued and the debt is sent to Enforcement Agents.

Where can I get independent advice?

You can obtain independent advice on parking regulations and the enforcement of PCNs from PATROL UK. Their website is


Is there anything wrong with this page?