First World War travelling exhibition - Filton
The British & Colonial Aeroplane Company was founded in Filton by Sir George White in 1910.
By the outbreak of First World War, it had produced many trainer aircraft for its two Flying Schools.
These trained over 50% of the pilots available for service in August 1914. Another 25% were trained on Bristol machines. The company produced 1,296 Be2, 374 Bristol Scout and over 5,000 Bristol Fighters during 1914-19.
The Royal Flying corps opened the Filton Aircraft Acceptance Park in 1915. It took aircraft from local manufacturers and brought them – and their crews – up to war service standards before they were sent into battle, at home or on the Western Front.Is there anything wrong with this page?