Digital services with free access 24/7 anywhere in the UK with an internet connection, using your library member number as printed on your card or your Temporary ID if you have recently joined online
Join online – membership is free. *Please provide your email address when you join online, as this will give you more control of your account and allow you to reset your PIN easily if you forget it. Where the form says “Pin” and next “Re-enter Pin” it is asking you to choose your own 4-digit PIN and then to re-enter it to confirm your choice.*
Free digital magazines, world newspapers and eComics from RBdigital for library members
We offer 100+ popular digital magazines; 1000+ world newspapers in more than 60 languages and 1500+ eComics for adults and children you can read on your mobile device or PC. All you need is your library member number or Temporary ID to create your free RBdigital account and start reading your favourite publications.
- digital magazines, newspapers & eComics from RBdigital. On the RBdigital app – free from App Store or Google Play. When prompted for the name of your library start typing ‘South Gloucestershire’, click on ‘South Gloucestershire’ when it shows. Alternatively login to the RBdigital website.
- if you are an existing RBdigital app user and you can’t see “Newspapers” in the app menu you will need to log out and log back in again, selecting ‘South Gloucestershire’ when prompted for the name of your library.
- if you are an existing RBdigital website user and you can’t see “Newspapers” on the homepage, you need to log out of the old RBdigital website and log back in to the new RBdigital website using the same username/email address and password as usual.
For help with RBdigital magazines and newspapers and/or eComics email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free eBooks from cloudLibrary and eAudiobooks from BorrowBox
The LibrariesWest shared eBook and eAudiobook services are available to library members 24/7 as websites and apps (for iOS, Android & Kindle Fire). Full details are on the LibrariesWest website
- eBooks from cloudLibrary (video demo). UPDATE: from 15 July 2020, login now requires your 4 digit PIN as well as your library membership number. If you are already logged on and you see an error message which prevents you from browsing or downloading – log off and then back on again with your membership number / Temporary ID and PIN.
If you don’t know your PIN reset it at www.librarieswest.org.uk by selecting “Log in” and then “Forgot my PIN”. This will send reset instructions to the email address we hold on your record. When prompted for the name of your library select: LibrariesWest. For help with eBooks email: email@example.com
- eAudiobooks from BorrowBox. To get started with eAudiobooks you will need your 4 digit PIN as well as your library member number / Temporary ID. If you don’t know your PIN reset it at www.librarieswest.org.uk by selecting “Log in” and then “Forgot my PIN”. This will send reset instructions to the email address we hold on your record.
When prompted for the name of your library select any of the following: LibrariesWest / South Gloucestershire Libraries / your local library branch. For help with eAudiobooks email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ancestry Library Edition
Research your family history online for free using Ancestry Library Edition. Includes UK census records 1841 – 1911 with images of original records; birth, marriage & death indexes; UK and Ireland parish and probate records from 1500s – 1800s & US and international sources.
Log into the LibrariesWest website – you will need the long number as printed on your library card (or your Temporary ID if you have recently joined online) and your PIN. If you don’t know your PIN, select ‘Forgot my PIN’ and an email with reset instructions will be sent to the email address we hold on your record. When you are logged into the LibrariesWest website click on the link ‘Access to Ancestry Library Edition’ which is at the top of the homepage – it is only visible when you are logged into the LibrariesWest website. You can see helpful screenshots on our Facebook page.
Free access to Ancestry Library Edition is usually only available in library buildings. While library buildings remain closed due to Covid-19, we are able to provide 24/7 access to Ancestry Library Edition with kind permission from ProQuest and Ancestry.
Who Else Writes Like?
Find authors who write in a similar way to those you enjoy with Who Else Writes Like? Log in with your library card number and select South Gloucestershire
Who Next? can help children who have already enjoyed stories by one writer to find others who write in a similar way. Log in with your library card number and select South Gloucestershire
Our library subscription to Newsbank finished at the end of February 2020 and has not been renewed due to very low usage. For archive newspapers try The British Newspaper Archive from The British Library. It’s free to register, search the archive and save your searches. No bank details are required to register. New users can access 3 free pages in full text.
Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland
Go to Oxford Dictionary of Family Names to find out about your family name, including where it came from. The dictionary covers English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Cornish and immigrant surnames and includes every surname that currently has more than 100 bearers plus those that had more than 20 bearers in the 1881 census. To log in from home use the login with your library card option to enter your complete library card number.
Access to Research – abstracts
High quality academic content from a range of disciplines. Search for articles and read abstracts on Access to Research from any internet connection and email yourself links to articles of interest to follow up inside library buildings. Visit any South Gloucestershire library and login to a library computer with your library card to access the full text or bring your laptop or tablet and connect via our free WiFi.
E-resources that can only be accessed in libraries; these are unavailable until further notice due to COVID-19 library closures
Access to Research – full text
Free access is available to over 15 million academic articles in full text at all South Gloucestershire libraries via Access to Research. Read high quality academic content from a range of subjects including art, architecture, business, engineering, history, languages, politics, philosophy, mathematics and the sciences. Ideal for small businesses, researchers and students. Login to a library computer with your library card to access the full text or bring your laptop or tablet and connect via our free WiFi.
Read product reviews in full before you buy. Access the Which? website by asking a member of library staff to log you on. Only available on library computers (not available through library WiFi) and only during staffed hourIs there anything wrong with this page?