Silly Squad Summer Reading Challenge 2020
“A great incentive to get children to read during the holidays especially when they are reluctant readers.” (Parent, Yate Library).
This year’s challenge is all about funny books, happiness and having a laugh! The Silly Squad is a team of animal friends who love to go on adventures and get stuck into all different kinds of brilliant books. Your child can join Silly Squad fun online now.
Super Silly Surprise
We miss welcoming families to the library to do the Summer Reading Challenge this year, so we have put together special Summer Reading Challenge Bags for families to have fun doing the Challenge at home.
You can order a FREE Summer Reading Challenge Bag for your child using our Click and Collect service or pop by your library to pick one up.
Each bag contains: A fold out poster and 6 stickers, an information sheet for families, a comments slip and craft activities. Remember to keep your paper bag so you can use it to make the final craft activity. *One bag per child. Children 4 – 11 years can take part. Available whilst stocks last. Please come alone if possible to help keep everyone safe. Library days/times may have changed, please check *
How to take part using your Summer Reading Challenge Bag
- Your child can use the Silly Squad poster to keep track of their Summer Reading Challenge. There’s a space on the poster for them to record the books they read.
- They can read anything they enjoy – this includes any books you have at home, eBooks, eAudiobooks and eComics as well as any books you borrow from the library.
- Each time your child reads a book they can add a sticker to the poster. Beware – some of the stickers are stinky scratch ‘n’ sniff stickers!
- We are recommending reading 6 books to complete the Challenge, but this can be flexible to best suit individual children.
- Medals and certificates will be available from 10 August. When your child has completed the Challenge, pop by your library to collect them. (Available whilst stocks last.)
Awesome things to read
You can find a great range of eBooks, eAudiobooks and eComics to download for free at www.southglos.gov.uk/eresources. Or you can use our Click and Collect service to order up to 6 super books to borrow. You can also book click and collect by calling 01454 865022 Monday to Friday 10am – 4pm and Saturday 9:30am – 12pm.
To find out more about changes to the library service during this time, please check www.southglos.gov.uk/librarychanges or like us on Facebook facebook.com/sgloslibraries for the latest updates
Silly Squad Activities
Use your Summer Reading Challenge Bag to make five fun activities:
- Bunting to display in your window.
- Dress Up Giraffe: Accessorise your giraffe with a selection of wacky wardrobe ideas.
- Horse Hoopla: Make your horse or unicorn and play hoopla.
- Spruce up your Spud! Use the clothes and body pieces to design your own Silly Spud.
- Crafty Critter: Use your paper bag and any bits and pieces you have at home to make your own crafty critter. All the crafts have been made using paper and card so they can be recycled.
You can also download the activity templates.
During the summer we will feature these crafts on our Facebook page – facebook.com/sgloslibraries – and invite you to share your creations.Is there anything wrong with this page?