Get Digital – learn basic online skills for free at a South Gloucestershire centre
There are so many things you can do on the internet. It could make everyday tasks a lot easier, save you time and money and allow you to do more of the things you like doing best. It can help you get in touch with people wherever they are in the world at the click of a button. You can find information on whatever you are interested in from fishing to football. Millions of people use the internet every day as it helps make their life easier, and you could join them.
See what our residents are saying about the sessions by watching the video below.
Find the help and support you need
Whether you have never touched a computer before and want to get started with the basics, or can do a little but want to know more, we are here to help you. Our friendly tutors are on hand whatever you want to learn about, from using a mouse for the first time to finding jobs online or keeping in touch with friends and family. We’ll give you a helping hand so you’re confident doing whatever you want to do online.
How much will it cost?
The courses are free.
What can I do?
You do not need to have any IT skills to attend the sessions. Friendly tutors and staff will be on hand to help you decide what you would like to learn, identify the best courses for you and assist you in achieving them.
We can cover any of the following at the sessions:
- using email
- using the internet safely
- using online searches
- make money work/looking after the pennies
- understanding public services
- job hunting online
- shopping online
- using facebook and socialising online
- banking online
- completing online forms
- staying safe online
- creating documents
- Using a tablet
- Basic MS Office skills
What will I get out of it?
You will gain important skills and discover how being online can really make a difference. Once you have completed courses you can print out certificates to show your achievements.
Where and when
Come along to one of the following drop in sessions or contact the organisation/venue for more details.
South Gloucestershire libraries
Trained staff and volunteers are available in libraries at the following days / times:
10am – 12 Bradley Stoke Library
10am – 12 Hanham Library
2pm – 4pm Staple Hill Library
3pm – 4pm Emersons Green Library
9.30am – 12.30pm Thornbury Library
2pm – 3pm Patchway Library
11am – 1pm Yate Library
10am – 12 Bradley Stoke Library
10am – 12 Downend Library
10am – 12 Winterbourne Library
|10am – 12 Yate Library|
Drop in or by appointment
|10am – 12 Thornbury Library|
|9.30am – 12.30pm Thornbury Library|
|2pm – 4pm Emersons Green Library|
Call into any South Gloucestershire Library during staffed hours or call 01454 868006 for more information and to book the first half-hour session. Please note these sessions are available in library buildings only.
Free beginner adult computer courses at local libraries
South Gloucestershire and Stroud College offer free courses at our libraries every term.
Skills you can learn on these courses include:
- using the internet to search for information and shop safely online
- use email to create and send messages and add attachments
- create documents such as letters and posters, including different types of text and pictures
- use ICT in daily life for booking holidays, flights, hotels and other activities
- learn about ICT safely and security when working online
- the chance to gain an up to date qualification in ICT and maths
Community learning offer a range of IT learning opportunities across many venues, including libraries.
Other organisations in South Gloucestershire which offer computer support
- Southern Brooks Community Partnerships – Job and IT Club in Patchway (at Coniston Community Centre). Full details on the Southern Brooks Community Partnerships website.
- FACE Filton – Silver Surfers (charge applies). Full details on the FACE Filton website.
- Banjo Island Community and Sports Association (Cadbury Heath, BS30 8EB).
If you want help online then there are a number of websites that can provide support.