Skip to main content

Coronavirus: latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available

Filming in South Gloucestershire

LOCATION FILMING: COVID-19 Production activity in this current climate should be restricted only to journalists and broadcasters who are providing public service broadcasting and must ensure operation in line with the latest advice provided by UK Government and the NHS. There is no restriction or any form of official permission required for small news crews where the only equipment is handheld cameras and where filming will not cause an obstruction.


South Gloucestershire Council are a Film Friendly authority in association with Creative England.

For filming activity to take place, permissions need to be granted by all the relevant agencies for example the local authority, police and land/property owner. Who will be involved will of course depend on the location and other relevant circumstances.

Why you should film in South Gloucestershire

South Gloucestershire has a fantastic range of town and country locations, with historical settings from as early as the 13th century, through to much more modern sites.

We are close to the M4 and M5, and easily accessible from London, Cardiff, Bristol and Bath.

One of our most treasured locations is the Road to Nowhere. Built and then never used, the Road to Nowhere in Yate offers a chance to film on an empty stretch of dual carriageway. This fantastic and unique location comes with space for a unit base and is a great location for filming any kind of road scenes.

For more information or advice on locations to film in South Gloucestershire, please enquire at Please note that an admin charge of £22.10 will be incurred for this service.

How to apply for permission to film

Please ensure that you have read our Codes of Practice before you complete the Application to Film form. We will also require a copy of your risk assessment(s), if you do not have one, you can use this Filming Risk Assessment template.

Please complete and return the application to film, attaching a copy of your risk assessment(s) to

Please ensure that you include all of the essential information required in the application form, in order for us to process your application as quickly as possible.

We require a minimum of 15 working days to process your application.

We will not begin to process your application until we have received all of the relevant information.

Filming on the road

If you are intending to film on the road you will need to receive additional permission from our Streetworks team. Please ensure you state this on your application form in order for us to pass this request on. There will additional costs incurred.

Filming with UAV and drones

If you are applying to film using a drone, more formally known as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) you must read the Guidance for UAV and drones before completing the application form.

Fees and charges

There will be an administration charge of £22.10 following any initial enquiry.

Additional site fees may apply depending on the location and film requirements. For more information please enquire on the below email address.

Please note that the council reserves the right to charge for reinstatement if filming activities result in damage and incur additional costs to the council.

To enquire about filming within another West of England Combined Authority please visit the following film office websites:

For advice or any other queries please contact or call us on 01454 865850.

Is there anything wrong with this page?