Skip to main content

Coronavirus: latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available

Short-term supported housing

South Gloucestershire Council funds a number of schemes that provide short-term housing support. These can be either short-term accommodation at a specific scheme with onsite support, or floating support, where someone visits you in your home and helps you to manage where you live, or helps you to find somewhere if you don’t have your own address.

To be offered a housing related support service you must:

  • have a local connection with South Gloucestershire and
  • need supported housing or home based ‘floating’ support or
  • be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless or more vulnerable without support services and
  • be prepared and able to engage in a support programme to learn new skills to live independently.

Housing related support does not include the provision of services that do not directly relate to your accommodation needs, for example care needs.

Short-term supported housing

There are 10 schemes across South Gloucestershire with a total of 112 spaces. The schemes are for those who are homeless or threatened with homelessness and who need the support available to help them gain the skills to move on to their own independent housing.

There is usually a waiting list for this accommodation and so it is not an immediate option. There are no direct access hostels in South Gloucestershire.

Here is a breakdown of the schemes available:

  • 8 of these are for young people aged up to 25 with a total of 90 spaces. Not all of these can accommodate people aged 16 and 17, and 2 can accommodate young parents.
  • 1 scheme has 18 spaces for single people up to aged 60.
  • 1 scheme has 4 spaces for women with mental health problems.

All schemes offer your own room or flat, and are provided either on a licence agreement or 6 month assured shorthold tenancy.

The support provided helps you to gain the skills and confidence needed to progress towards living more independently. A condition of living there is that you work with staff to develop your own Individual Support Plan to help you move on.

Floating Support

Floating support is available to anyone with a Housing Related Support need, irrespective of where you live. Floating Support provides services that help you to manage your housing needs by supporting you to establish and/or manage your own independent accommodation.

The following housing related support tasks are examples of specific areas that focus on developing these skills with you, and which you will benefit from when the support is ended.

  • Support to find a property (where applicable)
  • Support to establish new tenancy
  • Support with financial management to enable the maintenance of a tenancy
  • Support to be a responsible tenant
  • Support to engage with other professionals when necessary.

Applications for Housing Related Support

All applications for housing related support are made through a single point of access, being the Housing Access Team within HomeChoice. If you would like to apply, or apply on someone’s behalf with their permission, please complete the Housing Related Support application form and email it to:

If you would like to speak with someone about a referral, please contact Housing Related Support through 01454 868005.

Application Guidelines

Please complete the form with as much information as possible, including your contact details. This will help us to assess your application more quickly and, if needed, to complete a risk assessment. We may need to contact other organisations for more information.

We will also let you know if we are unable to offer you a service.


If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, please see our advice about homelessness pages for details on how to contact us.

Is there anything wrong with this page?