Skip to main content

Coronavirus: latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available

Help if you are homeless and have a mental health problem

If you approach us for housing advice, as part of our assessment we will need to ask you about any previous or present mental health problems that you are experiencing or have experienced.  

In doing this, we may need to ask your permission to contact any mental health or support services that you are already involved with.  This is so we can complete an assessment of your priority and discuss with you what support can be put in place to prevent you becoming homeless or help you find and then maintain a home.  

If you are not in contact with any services, we can make referrals for you. This may be needed for them to do an assessment for us. This includes your GP who can then help you to access mental health services if they feel this is needed. 

Your Personal Housing Plan

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, following the assessment a Personal Housing Plan will be developed with you. 

You are welcome to involve any support workers that are working with you.  

The Personal Housing Plan will identify your housing options and how to access and sustain them. There may be things identified for you to do that you are not happy with. These will be discussed with you since not doing them may limit your options. 

If you have nowhere to live

For more information on applying as homeless, please read our leaflet. 

If you are currently experiencing a mental health problem, we will consider whether this means that you are vulnerable and therefore in “priority need” for accommodation if you are homeless.  

This will be determined by your personal circumstances, and in doing this we will take into account things like: 

  • what support you have access to  
  • how well you cope with your mental ill-health, regardless of your housing situation 
  • whether you have been in hospital for any mental health problems, either voluntarily or by being detained 

If you are in hospital

If you already have housing, you may have to take steps to make sure that this will not be put at risk because you are in hospital. We can help you to do this. Contact us on 01454 865496 or email

If you have nowhere to go to after you are discharged from hospital, your housing situation should be considered while you are in hospital and not at the time you are ready to leave. Any discharge plan should identify if you have nowhere to live. You should be referred to homelessness services as soon as this is known.  

We can visit you to take an application from you and begin an assessment to decide if we have a duty to provide you with emergency accommodation when you leave.  

We will continue to work with you to look at other options even if you are homeless.  

Supported housing

While there is no specific provider of housing support for those with mental health problems in South Gloucestershire, the following have some experience of working both with people with mental health and housing needs: 

  • short term supported accommodation – this type of accommodation is limited in South Gloucestershire and there is a waiting list so it is not an immediate option. Your housing officer will help you to apply. There are no direct access hostels in South Gloucestershire. 
  • floating support – this is support delivered in people’s own homes including if you living in insecure accommodation or are homeless – it is more likely that you would be offered this option. 

Further help

You can also get information and advice from national mental health charities including:



National homelessness charities including  

National Homelessness Advice Service 


Contact us

If you have mental health problems and have nowhere to stay, contact HomeChoice on 01454 865496 or email

Is there anything wrong with this page?