Skip to main content

Council housing

Following this large scale voluntary transfer of housing to Merlin Housing Society the council does not provide this service directly anymore. Please contact your housing association for more information.

Although we no longer have any housing, we have still have several important housing functions.

We provide a wide range of services to tenants, leaseholders, homeowners, landlords and people who are looking for a home in South Gloucestershire. We also advise and support people to get a home that suits their needs – whether they’re renting from private landlords, owning or part-owning.


  • offer support, advice and information on housing issues
  • provide specialist support to homeless people
  • help people applying for affordable housing
  • work with our housing association partners to develop new affordable homes
  • work with landlords and owners to improve existing private housing
  • administer home improvement grants as well as loans and disability grants

We also aim to work in partnership with other agencies to tackle anti-social behaviour, nuisance and to reduce racial harassment and domestic violence. If you need help with any of the above please telephone 01454 868005.


The first stage of any complaint about a Registered Providers’ service should always be their own complaints service, which they are required to have by law. Registered Providers include housing associations and other landlords, managers, and agents.

If you are still dissatisfied about shortcomings in the way homes are managed, you may complain to the Housing Ombudsman Service. Complaints can only be made by the resident affected or an authorised representative. Their service is free, independent and impartial.

Is there anything wrong with this page?