Skip to main content

Coronavirus (Covid-19): latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available.
National lockdown: Stay at home. Full restrictions on GOV.UK

Young people and mental health

Support with mental health and well-being for children

Parenting can be the most rewarding and the toughest of jobs.  We all want our children to be healthy and happy. Thinking about your child’s mental health and helping them to develop their ability to cope with life’s challenges is one of the most important things you can do, but for children with special education needs and disabilities (SEND), it can be even harder. Sometimes more support and more time is needed to help your child through this stage.

What you can do to help with your child’s mental health and wellbeing?

Our Mind You website is available to help children and their families with their wellbeing the website includes local information about mental health and wellbeing and an A-Z of information.

The Young Minds website has produced a parents survival guide if you are worried about your child.

Information websites about mental health and wellbeing

Mind You

Mind You is South Gloucestershire’s mental health and emotional wellbeing hub for young people. The Mind You website can help your child to look after their mental health and provides information for parents.

Happy Maps

A website of information to help you if you are worried about your child’s behaviour or mental health. You may be waiting for a specialist service but there is a long wait or perhaps you’ve been told the problem isn’t quite serious enough to be referred to a specialist. Happy Maps will provide you with information to help you support your child.

“One You South Gloucestershire” service for adults

Our One You South Gloucestershire website includes a wide range of free mental health and emotional wellbeing support and information available for those aged over 18.

The NHS website 

The NHS website provides young people with advice and help on mental health problems including depression, anxiety and stress. This includes the moodzone page,  links to NHS-approved online mental health treatments and articles covering a wide variety of subjects.

Mental health and wellbeing services in South Gloucestershire

We have a number of services that can help your child with their mental health and wellbeing that they can self-refer to, they are:


Kooth is an online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people between 11-18. It is free to use and can be accessed by mobile phone, tablet or a desktop PC.

Off The Record (OTR)

OTR is a mental health social movement by and for young people aged 11-25 living in Bristol and South Gloucestershire.The OTR website gives information on how to get support.

Talking Therapies South Gloucestershire

This service from 16 allows you to access NHS talking therapy services within South Gloucestershire, in partnership with other providers. You can self refer to this service by completing an online form on their website.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Bristol and South Glos CAMHS work with children and young people, up until their 18th birthday, who are experiencing moderate to severe, complex and enduring mental health difficulties. This means that their difficulties are having an impact in more than one area of their life (eg home, school, hobbies, friendships) and have been present for over 3 months and have been getting worse despite other interventions being tried eg school counselling, Off The Record, Family and Young People Support

If your child is referred to us with severe or life-threatening mental health conditions they are seen urgently within 7 days. For example anorexia, psychosis or severe depression with thoughts and plans to take their life.

The assessment and treatment of neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism or ADHD are ordinarily done via paediatrics but may come to CAMHS if they additionally are struggling with any of the above.

Currently, a referral to CAMHS is by a professional who knows and has recently seen your child. Often this may be the GP but increasingly schools will make referrals or speak with the CAMHS primary mental health specialist for advice if they are concerned about one of their students

After 18 if it is required your child may transition over to adult mental health or to their GP. The Community Children’s Health Partnership website has further information on the CAMHS service.


Children and Young People’s Mental Health Needs Assessment

This explores the current and projected mental health needs of children and young people in South Gloucestershire aged 0-18 years taking into account risk and protective factors, service provision, and the potential consequences of poor mental health across the life course.

Start reading

Children and Young People’s Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing Strategy

This strategy explains our vision and priorities for Children and Young People’s Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing and how we will achieve this.

Start reading
Is there anything wrong with this page?