Skip to main content

Coronavirus (Covid-19): service updates, support and health advice.

Nuclear emergencies

This information has been issued by the site operators in accordance with the Radiation (Emergency Preparedness & Public Information) Regulations 2001 (REPPIR).

Nuclear Licensed Sites are designed, operated and regulated to ensure that accidents are highly unlikely. However, it is prudent to have arrangements to deal with such a situation should it occur.

This information tells you about these arrangements and explains what you need to do in the event of an emergency to protect you from exposure to radiation and radioactive material.


  • GO IN


If there is an Off Site Nuclear Emergency, you will be told in one or more of the following ways:

  • By automated telephone notification system (if you have previously registered).
  • By police officers.
  • By loudspeakers on police patrol vehicles.
  • By local radio and/or television.

Make sure any neighbours are aware of the emergency.

Protective actions may include:

  • Staying indoors.
  • Leaving the area.
  • Taking Potassium Iodate tablets.

Staying indoors

People at home should:

  • Go indoors
  • Bring domestic pets indoors
  • Leave all farm animals where they are
  • Close all outside doors and windows
  • Switch off any ventilation or extractor fans
  • Tune into your local radio/TV and listen for any further instructions

Television and radio

Your local radio/TV frequencies are:

  • BBC Radio Bristol 94.9 – 104.6, 103.6MHz (FM) or 1548 kHz (MW)
  • Vibe 101 97.2 MHz / 101.0 MHz (FM)
  • BBC Radio Gloucestershire 95.0 / 104.7 MHz (FM) or 1413 kHz (AM) (95.8 in Cirencester)
  • Heart 102.4 / 103 MHz (FM)
  • Heart 96.3 MHz (FM)
  • BBC 1 TV
  • HTV

If you are not at home

People not at home should:

  • If you are indoors, stay where you are
  • If you are out doors make your way to nearby premises where you can remain indoors
  • If you are travelling in a vehicle, ensure all windows and vents are closed

Leaving the area

If asked to leave the area:

Get together the people in your household (excluding children at school) and pets.

  • Pack a supply of warm clothing
  • Pack any special food that anyone in your family needs
  • Pack any medicines that anyone in your family needs
  • Take personal documents and valuables
  • Pack some books and toys for children
  • Complete the registration card and take with you
  • Make sure fires are out and that cookers, ventilation fans, TVs etc. are turned off and unplugged
  • Lock up your property
  • Leave using your own transport keeping windows and ventilation closed. If this is not possible you will be told where transport will be provided
  • Go to the rest centre designated
  • Or, go to a friend or relative’s home if it is outside the evacuation area – but please inform the police of your location with the registration card


School children

  • The local authority will make special arrangements for children at school and for reuniting them with their families
  • Do not go and collect children from school

Persons with special needs

Persons being cared for in premises known to the local authority or health authority and who would have difficulty in leaving the area will have special arrangements made for them.

Farmers, fishermen and food producers

  • The Food Standards Agency is responsible for providing advice on food safety in the event of a release of radioactivity
  • If a radioactive release occurred, radioactive material could contaminate agricultural food production (for example crops in fields and allotments) over a wide area
  • The Food Standards Agency advice will protect those people who may consume contaminated food on a regular basis and over a long period of time. The area covered by food advice is therefore likely to be larger than the area in which evacuation or shelter is required

Food, water and medicines

Safe to use:

  • Food stored indoors, for example in homes or shops
  • Medicines stored in their normal packaging
  • Mains tap water, unless told otherwise
  • Wait for official guidance
  • Before using private water supplies
  • Consuming food stored outdoors, for example on open-air markets or stalls
  • Harvesting fresh produce to eat, for example from a garden or allotment

Shipping and boats

HM Coastguard will warn shipping and boats.


If you are advised to leave and circumstances permit, take your pets with you. If they are left behind seek advice at the rest centre.

Radiation and the effects

Please refer to Nuclear emergencies: information for the public, published by Public Health England (formerly Health Protection Agency)

After the emergency is over

You will be allowed to return home once the area has been declared safe.

Further information

The operator provides this information on calendars. If you would like to receive a copy please contact:

Oldbury Site
Oldbury Naite
BS35 1RQ

If you would like to know more details about these arrangements, the following publications are available from the council or operator:

  • Arrangements For Responding To Nuclear Emergencies (Published by Her Majesty’s Stationery Office [HMSO])
  • Emergency Plan For Oldbury Site
  • Magnox North Handbook for Oldbury Site
  • South Gloucestershire Off Site Emergency Plan for Oldbury Site

The following organisations are involved in the emergency arrangements for the nuclear licensed site and are represented on the Emergency Planning Consultative Committee:

  • South Gloucestershire Council
  • Avon and Somerset Constabulary
  • Avon Fire & Rescue Service
  • South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
  • Dept for Communities & Local Government Regional & Emergencies Division
  • Bristol Water
  • Environment Agency
  • Bristol, Somerset, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire (BNSSSG) NHS Area Team
  • Magnox Ltd
  • Office for Nuclear Regulation (HSE)
  • Bristol City Council, Scientific Services
  • Gloucestershire Harbour Trustees
  • Welsh Government
  • HM Coastguard
  • Public Health England


South Gloucestershire Council
Emergency Planning Unit
Tel: (01454) 868009
Magnox Ltd
Oldbury Power Station
Tel: (01454) 893500

Magnox Ltd
Berkeley Centre, Gloucestershire
Tel: (01453) 810451

Location of designated Rest Centres

Castle School
Park Road
BS35 1HT

Thornbury Leisure Centre
Thornbury Road
BS35 3J

Is there anything wrong with this page?