Child weight management: Reach
Reach is a free and fun programme for families with children and young people aged 4-16 years who are above a healthy weight. Reach focuses on promoting the health and wellbeing of children and young people by increasing physical activity, boosting mental health and wellbeing and improving nutritional intake, as well as supporting children and young people to reduce their Body Mass Index (BMI).
Reach group programme
Two Reach groups are available: 4-11 years and 11+ years. The sessions are 1-1.5 hours long and usually run for 10 weeks at a leisure centre or other community setting (maximum 12 families per group). It is essential that at least one parent/carer attends a group with the child or young person; and the whole family are invited and encouraged to attend.
Reach topics include:
- fun and interactive activities to boost confidence and wellbeing
- a weekly physical activity session with lots of games, movement and fun
- a cooking session to prepare healthy snacks
- ideas to improve sleep and bedtime routines
- a focus on food groups, healthy eating and portion sizes
- how to use nutrition labels when shopping
Details for upcoming groups:
- Venue: Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre
- Age range: 4-11 years
- Date: Tuesday 28 January (attendance required every Tuesday for 9 weeks)
- Time: 4pm – 5:15pm
- Venue: Alpha Active Academy in Page Park
- Age range: 11-16 years
- Date: Wednesday 29 January (attendance required every Wednesday for 9 weeks)
- Time: 4:00pm – 5:15pm
- Venue: Yate Leisure Centre
- Age range: 9-13 years
- Date: Thursday 30 January (attendance required every Thursday for 9 weeks)
- Time: 4:15pm until 5:30pm
Reach 1:1: sessions
Reach 1:1 sessions are for all ages and tailored to the family’s needs. The sessions are up to one hour long and the content is based on the group sessions. The sessions usually take place once a week and offered, on average, for six weeks.
Reach extra activity sessions
We also offer free Reach extra activity sessions to families. These are a great opportunity to try out new activities and fun games. All Reach families are very welcome to attend. If you can’t make every week, then come when you can.
Contact the team for information on upcoming Reach extra activity sessions by using the email address or telephone number below.
How to take part in Reach
To sign up to Reach or to refer a family please complete a referral form. You can contact us for more information on 01454 864005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Raising the issue of weight training for Health Practitioners
This two hour workshop is suitable for practitioners working with children, young people and families. This course aims to build confidence in raising the issue of weight with families. A brief and appropriate conversation can be an important first step towards positive wellbeing. To find out more or to book a place see our flyer.Is there anything wrong with this page?