Skip to main content

Coronavirus: latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available

Drug treatment options and help

Developing Health and Independence (DHI) services remain open to all residents, with support for any adults who need help or advice around their use of drugs and/or alcohol. Support is available either over the phone or digitally. Self-referrals, as well as those from a professional, are welcome. People will be contacted by phone within 15 working days of their referral and often much sooner. The triage team will complete an assessment over the phone and ensure that access to the right support is put in place as soon as possible.


Contact details are:

Tel: 01454 86 8750, Freephone: 0800 073 3011, Email:


Anyone accessing services can use Breaking Free Online which offers support digitally such as alternative coping strategies. It can be accessed at any time of the day. The access code for South Gloucestershire residents is southglos11. If people need help with Breaking Free Online, they can call the triage team on the number above.

Advice and support

Free and confidential help, advice, support and treatment is available in South Gloucestershire following an assessment of your needs.

Developing Health and Independence (DHI) are the South Gloucestershire Drug and Alcohol treatment provider. They can help if you have concerns about your use of any substances, including heroin, cocaine, over the counter medications, cannabis, novel psychoactive substances or other substances causing concern about your health and wellbeing.

Call 01454 868750 to speak to a member of our team, or email, for further information or to access the help available.

Assessments and referrals

The service encourages self-referrals. However, anyone can refer with the consent of the person who needs the support; all it takes is a phone call.

The triage team will ask some questions related to your use of substances, which will help them to find out the best team to put you in touch with. They will then discuss the next steps with you, which may be a comprehensive assessment over the phone. During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, contact with your substance misuse worker will most likely be by telephone.

Services will try and allocate you a worker who can meet your needs best. For example, if you are experiencing mental ill health as well as misusing substances or if you are pregnant, you will be allocated a worker who can support those needs. Therefore, please advise the triage team of everything that you feel they need to know.

Support offered can range from a brief conversation to answering a query, to advice regarding help and treatment availability.

Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), referrals to detoxification and residential rehab are not available at this time.

If you are experiencing ill health in relation to your substance misuse, please speak to your GP.

SPACED (Stimulant, Psychoactive, Club and Experimental Drugs)

SPACED offers people free and confidential information, advice and support on Stimulant, Psychoactive, Alternative, Club and Experimental Drugs for people living in South Gloucestershire. These substances are commonly called Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS) and were sometimes called legal highs.


Coronavirus update: training sessions are currently not available. If you have a query or would like some support or resources sent to you, contact us on 01454 863020 or email

Legal position on drugs

For up to date information on the legal status on substances, talk to FRANK.

Is there anything wrong with this page?