Skip to main content

Coronavirus: latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available

Common questions about adult care

Here are some of the most common questions we get asked in adult care.

Do you have a list of care homes in our area?

Please see the Finding a care home factsheet. The Care Quality Commission can provide a list of all homes in the local area and beyond South Gloucestershire. The Care Quality Commission can also provide inspection reports on homes. Care Selector can help you to find the right home for you.

You may also want to look at our housing options information, as there may be an alternative to moving into a care home, such as supported housing or extra care housing, which may suit you better.

How much are care home fees?

Each home sets their own fees, and you would need to ask each home when you are looking into what they can offer. We can assess you to see if you fit the criteria for financial support from the council. If we are arranging your place in a care home, please see Will I have to pay to stay at a residential or nursing home?, which explains how we work out how much you will pay towards the cost of your place. If you need more information about how much you would pay, please contact the Financial and Benefits Team on 01454 86 4269 or e-mail to

How do I get help with personal care?

You may wish to set this up yourself without help from the council. What to look for in a care and support provider includes a list of local providers the council uses. The Care Quality Commission can give you a list of all providers, and can supply inspection reports.

If you wish to have an assessment to have support set up by the council, please contact the customer service desk on or call 01454 868007. We will need to assess what you are able to do for yourself and what you need help with to see if you meet our criteria. If you do meet our criteria we will also assess your finances to see if you are able to contribute towards the cost of your support. See Funding care and support for more information. We may be able to provide a service called Promoting Independence for up to six weeks, to help you do as much as you can for yourself.

How do I get help with equipment in the home, for example raised toilet seats?

Occupational therapy equipment can help you to manage in your home to use the bathroom, toilet and kitchen independently. Small adaptations such as grab rails on walls can help you to stay safe and independent in your home.

We can assess your needs for equipment and adaptations. The assessment is to find out what you are able to do for yourself and what you need help with to see if you meet our criteria for support. If you wish to have an assessment please contact the customer service desk or by calling on 01454 868007. Please be aware that single equipment below the value of £10 is not issued by the council. Please refer to your local mobility shop to purchase this privately.

Mobility aids such as Zimmer frames are not provided by the council, please talk to your GP who may be able to refer you on. The alternative is to purchase your own from a local mobility shop.

If you think you need a wheelchair, please speak to your GP, or if you have a physiotherapist or occupational therapist please speak to them. The Bristol Centre for Enablement can give you more information about the criteria for NHS wheelchairs, on 0300 3000110. The alternative is to purchase your own from a local mobility shop or to hire one on a short term basis or buy one from the Red Cross on 0117 3012606.

If you have a wheelchair which was issued by the Bristol Centre for Enablement and is in need of repair please call 0117 969 6959

For more information on occupational therapy please see this article.

What is a disabled facilities grant?

A disabled facilities grant is to help pay for major adaptations at home. There is a criteria for this service, and you will be assessed to contribute to the cost of the adaptations. For more information please see the pages on the disabled facilities grant

How do I get meals at home?

You can have a meal delivered directly to your door by the council. This all year round service is available, upon request, to anyone wishing to purchase meals, and is particularly helpful in supporting older, disabled and vulnerable people living in their own homes, who are not able to cater for themselves. For more information call 01454 865996. You do not need an assessment from the council to use this service.

Other alternatives to have support with meals are to have frozen meals delivered to your door by companies such as Wiltshire Farm foods or Oakhouse, or to have a delivery of ready meals from a supermarket. You may also want to explore options from your local pub or community centre. You may also welcome the opportunity to meet together with others for lunch and conversation, please contact Wellaware on 0808 808 5253 for details of local groups and clubs.

Pendant alarms to get help in case I fall at home – how much does it cost and how is it arranged?

Pendant alarms cost from £3.55 a week, plus a one-off installation charge of £30.00. Pendant alarms are organised through the council, and you do not need an assessment to get this service. Please contact us on 01454 868007 or visit our telecare and alarms page for more information

There are a number of other organisations and providers who can offer this service.

What do I do if I think someone is being abused?

If you have any concerns about an adult at risk, you must report it by calling adult care on 01454 868007. If a vulnerable adult is in immediate danger, dial 999 and ask for police assistance.

Where can I find help for someone who has been diagnosed with dementia?

Dementia – Guide to services in South Gloucestershire provides a comprehensive list of services to support people with dementia. We also have a range of pages pointing people to what is happening locally for people living with dementia and their carers.

What help is there for someone feeling lonely or isolated?

Information on social activities can be found on Well Aware. Further information is also available on leisure and social activities and Precious Time, our campaign to reduce loneliness and isolation.

What help is there for carers?

There are a range of services and support in place for carers. Please see Getting help and connected which will link you into information and support. If you would like to have your needs assessed and discuss what is going to help you in your caring role please contact the Carers Support Centre on 0117 9652200.

Is there anything wrong with this page?