Vinney Green Secure Children's Home
Vinney Green Secure Children’s Home is licensed by Ofsted and provides placements for young people from the Youth Custody Service (YCS).
Regular inspections are completed by many parties, including Ofsted, YCS and the Local Authority. This is to make sure that it maintains high standards.
The Children’s Home is managed by South Gloucestershire Council’s Department for Children, Adults and Health. Ali Sykes is the Registered Manager.
Who we support
Our places are commissioned on a contractual basis by the Youth Custody Service (YCS) and there is a legal criteria.
Young people must be:
- remanded to Youth Detention Accommodation as specified in the powers set down within the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012
- sentenced to a Detention and Training Order (for periods of 4 to 24 months) as specified under Section 233 (formerly section 100) of the Powers of the Criminal Courts Act (Sentencing) 2000
- subject to a recall for breach of Licence conditions, or further offending whilst serving the community part of a Detention and Training Order under Section 233 Paragraphs 2 and 3 of Schedule 12 and Paragraphs7(4) – 7(8) of Schedule 12 respectively (formerly sections 104 or 105) of the Powers of the Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000
- sentenced through the crown court for grave and serious crimes under Section 259 (formerly section 90) or section 250 (formerly section 91) of the Powers of the Criminal Courts Act (Sentencing) 2000.
- subject to overnight transfer arrangements under the relevant sections of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) 1984 (restricted to help prevent spread of coronavirus)
The YCS may also (under certain circumstances) allow a Local Authority to spot purchase a vacant bed at the Secure Children’s Home. This is so they can place a young person on welfare grounds under Section 25 of the Children Act (1989) or Section 119 Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014.
Local Authorities wanting to place a young person below the age of 13 must also ask for permission from the Secretary of State at the Department for Education or Welsh Ministers prior to the placement. Referrals have also been restricted to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
What we do
To create a safe and secure environment where young people can be cared for, educated and supported to become responsible members of the community.
Our mission statement is based on 4 Golden Rules:
- treat others the way we would like to be treated
- try our best and learn by our mistakes
- respect other people’s property
- celebrate diversity
We aim to:
- make sure that young people are legally and appropriately detained
- make sure that young people are safe from harm and neglect
- have a detailed assessment of the young person including health, education, substance misuse, neurodevelopment, offending behaviour and emotional wellbeing
Our vision is for all young people to have an ambitious and holistic curriculum that inspires them to be their best self.
To do this we will:
- employ well trained and experienced staff who are good social role models
- be active in developing the growth and maturity of each young person
- encourage self-confidence, self-esteem, and independence
- work with young people to reduce or get rid of offending behaviour
- help young people to recognise their emotions so they can keep self-control and resilience
- promote anti-racist and anti-discriminatory attitudes and make sure that everyone has their personal and cultural needs met
Each young person has their own plan they help to prepare. We build positive relationships with young people and work with them develop their plan.
We aim to:
- be able to discharge the requirements and duties set down in law, contract, and statutory guidance in the conduct of the Secure Children’s Home’s business
- influence positive behaviour change so that young people can become responsible members of their community
Where we are
Vinney Green Secure Children’s Home is based in Emersons Green.
Since 1995, housing and facilities in the area have grown and continue to do so. This does not impact where the Children’s Home is, and the area has a low crime rate.
Our address is:
Vinney Green Secure Children’s Home
Emersons Green Lane
Phone: 0117 9702286