ASDAN short course awards
The ASDAN Short Course Awards are aimed at 13 to 19 year olds and offer a wide variety of activity based programmes aimed at developing a large range of skills. There are over 30 different courses to choose from including animal care, sports and fitness, foodwise, and hair and beauty. The short courses provide an opportunity for you to develop knowledge in an area that you choose.
Why do an ASDAN award?
- they recognise and reward your achievements
- develop your employability skills
- it looks great on your CV
- it will help you develop a range of skills through activities you have picked
- it will help you develop and demonstrate knowledge in an area you are interested in
How long will the short course take?
You can spend between 10 and 60 hours on activities, it’s up to you. For every 10 hours you spend on activities, you are awarded one credit. The length of time it takes to complete the award depends on how much time you can spend on the award each week and how many credits you want to achieve.
What is involved?
- First pick the course you want to do (see the list the below)
- Select the modules and activities you want to do using the booklet provided by your youth worker or FYPS worker
- Plan, organise and carry out your chosen activities collecting evidence as you go and storing it safely in your evidence portfolio
- Complete a review at the end of the course
- Submit all your work and receive your certificate
If you want to participate or find out more information please contact your local youth centre directly or if you have one speak to your FYPS worker. Contact information can be found on the individual youth centre pages. Further information about the ASDAN short courses can also be found on the ASDAN website.
Short courses available
- Activities and Peer Tutoring
- Adventure and Residential
- Animal Care
- Beliefs and Values
- Careers and Experiencing Work
- Computing Vocational Taster
- Construction Vocational Taster
- Disability and Sports Awareness
- Expressive Arts
- Hair and Beauty Vocational Taster
- Hospitality Vocational Taster
- Islam and Citizenship Education
- Land-based Sector Vocational Taster
- Living Independently Short Course Student Book
- Manufacturing Vocational Taster
- Peer Mentoring
- Personal Finance
- RSA Opening Minds
- Sex and Relationships
- Sports and Fitness
- Uniformed Services Vocational Taster
- Volunteering as an Adult Short Course Student Book