Skip to main content

Get ready for Brexit. Information on how we are preparing for Brexit in South Gloucestershire.

How to become a Share the Care (short break) carer

We positively welcome Share the Care (short break) carers from all parts of the community so we can find the best link for every child. You can be considered for Share the Care (short break) if you are:

  • single – male or female
  • married or living with a partner
  • a family with or without children
  • gay/lesbian or straight
  • from any ethnic or cultural background
  • a person who is disabled
  • employed or unemployed
  • a house owner or tenant

For overnight stays you do need to be either the legal tenants or owners of your property. Although you don’t need a big house you will ideally have a spare room.

Initial visit

A Family Placement social worker will try to arrange to meet you within two weeks of your enquiry. This visit provides you with an opportunity to discuss your personal circumstances and you will find out more about the skills you need to become a Share the Care (short break) carer and the tasks of involved with caring for a child or young person. The Family Placement social worker will also discuss with you what you feel you can offer a child or young person. The visit will also enable the social worker to explain the application, preparation and assessment process.


All applicants have to undergo a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check plus a range of other checks and references. These are important because by law we have to undertake rigorous checks to ensure the suitability of our Share the Care (short break) Carers to look after vulnerable children and young people. These will be explained to you during your initial visit. We would hope to complete your training, checks and assessment within six months. We have a duty to make sure that you can offer a safe and caring environment where children will feel welcomed, cared for and valued.


If at any point you are not happy with the assessment, social worker or any aspect of the Share the Care (short break) process then we ask that you contact the social worker or the fostering team manager to give them the opportunity to resolve the issue. However, if you feel unable to do this or you are still not happy with the process then you have the right to complain within South Gloucestershire’s complaints procedure.

Is there anything wrong with this page?