Skip to main content

Nuisance from smells - out of hours

To make an emergency complaint about a smell out of hours, you can call the out-of-hours line.

They will contact the duty environmental health officer (EHO) if necessary.

If the issue is not an emergency, it will be logged and processed the next working day as a non-emergency nuisance with a response time of up to five working days,

If the smell is of gas, you should call Transco immediately on 0800 111 999 and follow their instructions.

If you smell fumes or smells indoors, air the room well. If the problem doesn’t go away, either sleep in a ventilated room that is not affected, or stay elsewhere and contact us the next day. If you are very worried, call the emergency services.

Smells of drains or rotting food are generally not a health risk. However, they can indicate a further problem, which can be investigated on the next working day.

Petrol or chemicals can smell bad, even when the problem is far too small to be dangerous. They can also indicate a further problem, which should be investigated on the next working day.

Is there anything wrong with this page?