Skip to main content

Exhaust emission testing

A designated local authority may carry out roadside vehicle emission checks in an effort to reduce pollution from road traffic.

It can do this where any part of the area is designated as an air quality management area in accordance with legislation. The authority must apply to the Secretary of State to be a designated local authority.

South Gloucestershire Council has not (for the time being) applied to the Secretary of State to become a designated local authority.

Smoky vehicles

If you spot a commercial diesel vehicle (e.g. a bus or lorry) emitting a lot of dark smoke, you can ring the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency’s (VOSA) national smoky vehicle hotline on 0300 123 9000 or email They will need the following information:

  • Vehicle Registration number
  • Type of vehicle
  • Date seen
  • Time seen
  • Location seen
  • The name of the vehicle operator

Further details can be found on the VOSA website.

Is there anything wrong with this page?