Skip to main content

Get ready for Brexit. Information on how we are preparing for Brexit in South Gloucestershire.

Planning consent

Most applications require a full planning application. You can also submit an outline planning application to see if a development would be acceptable. If the proposed work is for an advertisement, on a listed building, in a conservation area or on a protected tree you may require separate consent.

Full planning consent

​Most applications require full planning applications. You are required to submit all details of the proposal. A full application is needed if you wish to change the use of land or buildings or for domestic and commercial development.

Outline planning consent

Outline planning applications can be made to find out whether the development is acceptable in principle. It has the advantage that detailed drawings are not needed. Once outline permission has been granted, you will need to ask for the details to be approved. This is known as reserved matters and must be done before work can start.

Variations of conditions

You can also make an application for the variation or removal of a condition to an existing planning permission. We will consider the application and decide whether to grant consent subject to different conditions; remove it entirely; or decide not to amend the condition at all.

Listed building consent

You need to apply for listed building consent if you want to demolish a listed building or you want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building.

Conservation area consent

If you live in a conservation area, you will need to apply for conservation area consent.

Certificates of lawfulness

A certificate of lawfulness for proposed or existing use is a statutory document confirming that the use, operation or activity named on it, is lawful for planning control purposes. It enables us, where sufficient evidence exists and all the conditions are satisfied, to grant a certificate in relation to:

  • an existing use of land, some operational development or an activity in breach of a planning condition which has become lawful or
  • a proposed use of land or buildings or some operational development to be carried out which would need to be lawful

Advertisement consent

If you wish to display an advert you may well need advertisement consent as the advertisement control system covers a very wide range of advertisements and signs including:

  • Posters and notices
  • Placards and boards
  • Fascia signs and projecting signs
  • Pole signs and canopy signs
  • Models and devices
  • Advance signs and directional signs
  • Estate agents’ boards
  • Captive balloon advertising (not balloons in flight)
  • Flag advertisements
  • Price markers and price displays
  • Traffic signs
  • Town and village name signs

 You are unlikely to need consent for signs less than 0.3 metres squared on your house with a name or number on it. Temporary notices up to 0.6 metres squared relating to local events (fetes and concerts for example) can be displayed for short periods

Works to trees

You will need to submit a tree works application if you wish to carry out works on trees protected by tree preservation orders or located in conservation areas.

Is there anything wrong with this page?