Skip to main content

Get ready for Brexit. Information on how we are preparing for Brexit in South Gloucestershire.

Planning applications, development and CIL

As from 1 August 2015 the following types of development will be liable to pay the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL).

  • development comprising 100m² or more of new build floorspace
  • development of one or more dwellings
  • the conversion of a building that is no longer in lawful use

Planning applications and development

When you submit a planning application which includes any of the above development, we will ask you for further particulars in order for us to calculate the CIL liability.

Also, where you have an undecided planning application, we may request additional CIL information as liability occurs at decision stage and not when the application was submitted.

In some limited cases, development which falls into the above categories will not require planning permission, but may be liable for CIL. This is known as Chargeable Development and you will need to tell us about it.

CIL information and charges in South Gloucestershire

Detailed information and forms relating to CIL, along with links to the regulations, can be found on the Planning Portal and Planning Practice Guidance websites.

We have published our CIL charges, zones and guidance:

We have produced a simple process map identifying the keys steps. The diagram is intended to be a useful guide to the stages of CIL and not represent the full regulatory requirements.

Exemptions and reliefs

There are a number of exemptions and reliefs available for CIL liable schemes and these are set out in the Regulations and summarised in the our CIL and S106 guide.

If you consider that your development may benefit from an exemption or relief it’s important that you follow the correct process and claims procedure or you may become liable for the full levy charge.

CIL appeals

Liable Parties may appeal against a decision relating to the calculation and enforcement of CIL. Details can be found on the Planning Portal and Planning Practice Guidance websites.

Is there anything wrong with this page?