South Gloucestershire has a rich and varied history dating back to prehistoric times. It has seen continuous occupation from the Iron Age onwards, through Roman occupation and later being home to Saxon kings, Norman invaders and large Monastic estates. The Forest of Kingswood was once an extensive Royal forest, reduced in size and status by Henry II, whilst the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536 by Henry VIII, who visited the area just a year before, began a period of extensive change in land ownership that changed the face of the entire area. South Gloucestershire also played a crucial role in the Industrial Revolution, supplying the Bristol area and beyond with coal, and being home to the first commercial production centre for zinc and brass in the UK. Whilst aspects of this history can be seen today as standing remains or historic settlements and landscapes, much still remains hidden beneath the soil.
Archaeological remains can, therefore, be both above and below ground and can include buildings, landscapes, sites and wrecks as well as other types of heritage asset. Not all archaeological remains are known and new discoveries are constantly being made. Furthermore, not all nationally important archaeological remains are scheduled and there are many nationally, regionally and locally important sites within the District.
The council recognises the important educational and amenity value of many of these sites and will encourage measures to promote them through the planning system, provided the essential attributes of such features are not threatened by such activities.
Information on known archaeological sites in South Gloucestershire can be found by consulting the Historic Environment Record.Is there anything wrong with this page?