Skip to main content

Oil spills

​Advice to homeowners on oil spills and suspected oil leaks from central heating oil systems.

If you have an oil spill, or suspect a leak, from your central heating oil system you should:

  • isolate the container
  • prevent further loss of oil
  • notify Bristol Water so they can assess whether the drinking water supply network is affected
  • contact the Environment Agency so they can assess any impact on streams, rivers etc.
  • contact the owner’s insurers
  • if you detect any odours within occupied buildings, contact the council’s Environmental Services Department

For more information about leaks from oil-fired central heating, please download our guidance booklet. ​

Is there anything wrong with this page?