Advice to homeowners on oil spills and suspected oil leaks from central heating oil systems.
If you have an oil spill, or suspect a leak, from your central heating oil system you should:
- isolate the container
- prevent further loss of oil
- notify Bristol Water so they can assess whether the drinking water supply network is affected
- contact the Environment Agency so they can assess any impact on streams, rivers etc.
- contact the owner’s insurers
- if you detect any odours within occupied buildings, contact the council’s Environmental Services Department
For more information about leaks from oil-fired central heating, please download our guidance booklet. Is there anything wrong with this page?