Skip to main content

We are currently experiencing problems with card and online payments via our Capita Pay360 service. We apologise for any inconvenience and will advise once normal service has been restored.

Town and village greens

Town and village greens developed under customary law as areas of land where local people indulged in sport and community activities.

Applications to register land as new town or village greens

Under section 15 of the Commons Act 2006 any person can apply to the council as commons registration authority to register land to which that section relates as new town or village green.

Applications should be made using Form 44 provided by the Commons (Registration of Town or Village Greens) (Interim Arrangements) (England) Regulations 2007 Form 44 and comprehensive guidance notes to help applicants and registration authorities complete the process are also available from Defra’s website

The council, as commons registration authority, is unable to comment on the merits of any application, however, general guidance regarding making an application is available. Applications should be sent to or:

South Gloucestershire Council
Chief Executive & Corporate Resources Department
Senior Legal Officer, Legal and Democratic Services
PO Box 1953
BS37 0DB

Is there anything wrong with this page?