Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (Sacre)
Every council must have a Sacre by law. This statutory body is responsible for advising the council on religious education (RE) and collective worship in its schools. RE is not a national curriculum subject, the 1988 Education Reform Act confirmed that it is a compulsory part of the core curriculum for all students.
What Sacre does
- Requires South Gloucestershire Council to review the local agreed syllabus every five years. Our next revision will be in 2021
- Monitors the provision of RE and collective worship in South Gloucestershire schools
- Produces an annual report including the work of Sacre and South Gloucestershire schools
- Considers applications from headteachers for their school to be released from the requirement for collective worship to be ‘wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character’ (this is known as a determination).
- Supports RE teachers
- Supports governors with a responsibility for RE
How Sacre works
The South Gloucestershire Sacre meets once every school term.
It has four main committees:
- Christian and other religious denominations reflecting the principal religious traditions in South Gloucestershire
- Church of England
- Teaching associations
- Council representatives
The membership of South Gloucestershire SACRE is made up as follows*:
Committee A: Christian and other religious denominations (7 members), Committee B: Church of England (2 members), Committee C: teachers’ association representatives (6 members), Committee D: local education authority (3 members), Committee E: co-options – not a voting committee (4 members) and supporting officers: SACRE advisor and clerk to the SACRE (2 posts)
(*correct as at November 2016)
- 11 November 2021
- 8 July 2021
- 12 November 2020
- 17 July 2020
- 17 October 2019
- 5 July 2018
- 26 April 2018
- 2 November 2017
- 4 July 2017
- 15 March 2017
South Gloucestershire Agreed Syllabus for RE
The South Gloucestershire Agreed Syllabus for RE is contained below. There is an overview that explains what is taught and when this is taught within different year groups. There is in addition the full programme of study; this is accessible for people to view only and is the property of RE today and therefore subject to copyright.
- 2016-2021 Overview
- Full programme of study (subject of copyright)
Resources for Schools
- School Assembly Guidance 2018-2023 – This contains advice on how to develop an assemblies policy, and practical resources which can be downloaded via the appendices.
- Local Places of Worship – Trips and Visitors Directory – This contains advice for teachers about where to go to bring faith visitors into schools and contact details. This information is updated regularly.
- Annual Conference 2019 – Our annual SACRE conference for both Primary and Secondary teachers of RE will be held on Friday 25 January 2019 and will be FREE for South Gloucestershire teachers.
- Glossary of Terms
Is there anything wrong with this page?
This form is for feedback about our website, not questions or comments about our services.
Follow this link to make a compliment or complaint. For anything else you can contact us here.