Skip to main content

Get ready for Brexit. Information on how we are preparing for Brexit in South Gloucestershire.

School complaints

You should initially make a complaint directly to the school (including a free school or an academy) by following their complaints procedure.

It is the responsibility of the governing body or academy trust to have and to publish a procedure to deal with complaints relating to the school. They are also responsible for dealing with any complaints which school staff could not resolve.

If you contact South Gloucestershire Council with your complaint, then we will refer you back to the school.

If you have exhausted the school’s own complaints process, you can forward your complaint to the Department for Education addressing your complaint to the Secretary of State. You should include all relevant documentation including correspondence.

Separate procedures apply to complaints about admission to school; about the statutory assessment of a child‘s special educational needs; the exclusion of pupils from school; school transport, home tuition, concerns or allegations against staff or volunteers; or child protection. If your query relates to any of these, you can contact the Complaints and Freedom of Information team on Tel: 01454 865924 or email:

Is there anything wrong with this page?